3

FROM THE ASHES

Chapter 3

Obiwan led Anakin to where Padme lay on the ship. Looking up, she saw the condition her husband was in, and cried out. "Oh, Anakin!" Threepio was very upset to see his maker and friend in such a condition. Obiwan layed Anakin by her side, and went back up front to fly the ship back to Coruscant. Padme started to cry as she looked over every inch of Anakin. She wanted to hug him, but knew any touching would only cause him more pain. There were open, bloody burns on all of his limbs that were cracked and rimmed with black ash. She noticed that his lovely golden hair was shorter now because it had caught fire, and his neck and ears were also a bit burned. His clothes were tattered and torn and falling apart. His boots were burned off, and his poor raw feet were sticking through them. She gently wrapped her arms around his burned shoulders to raise his head. She smoothed back the golden curls on his forhead, the ends charred from the heat, and ran her fingers back through what was left of his hair. Then she stared at his face, and gasped out in horror and grief. She didn't want to frighten him, but the sight of his burned cheeks and the damage to his face upset her badly. He seemed barely conscious. "Anakin, can you hear me?" She spoke in a whisper.

"Padme, is that you, oh Padme, are you okay?"

She smiled to know there was still enough of him left to answer. "I am fine, don't you worry, the baby and I are all right, it's you I'm worried about. Anakin, please, open your eyes and look at me." He turned his head away from her voice.

"I can't, Padme, I'm sorry. My eyes were put out by the flying, burning ashes from the lava. I can't see you anymore."
Padme broke immediately into tears.

"Oh no, Anakin, no, please, let me see those pretty blue eyes, let me look into them again, you can see me, you have to see me." Her warm tears dripped onto his burned face. He couldn't give her the answer she wanted.

"I'm not any more pleased about this than you are, believe me." He turned toward her and strained to open his eyes. The light was very painful to them, but even in the brightest light he couldn't see any more than her dark form as a shadow. Padme cringed as she looked into his once adoring eyes. The surfaces appeared melted and distorted, instead of smooth and clear. She could still make out their beautiful blue color beneath, so that gave her hope maybe the damage was not as deep or hopeless as they feared. With a groan, he closed them, and she lay her hand gently across his singed eyelashes and brows.

"You just keep them closed, we'll get you to a doctor, we'll take care of all these burns, you'll be as good as new."

Anakin shook his head. "I don't think so, Padme, but thank you for caring. I love you." She cried even louder now, and hugged him tighter.

"Owww!" he shrieked in pain. She let go of her grip on him.

"I love you too." She sobbed. In their sadness, grief and pain, they lay still beside each other, Anakin's hand resting on Padme's pregnant abdomen, as Obiwan flew the ship home.

Obiwan thought as he flew that no one but he and Anakin knew what had occured on Mustafar. Palpatine and the clones were dead, and Padme didn't know yet. How would they break this story to everyone back home? It was surely big news, but if they didn't know Palpatine was a Sith would anyone believe them? Or should he even tell? All these thoughts played in his mind as he hit hyperspace for the fastest return possible. He never even bothered to check on Anakin, he could feel his life force, and it was calm, and at peace. That meant Padme was okay too. Suddenly, a chill went through him! He couldn't return to Coruscant! While Anakin and Padme needed the expert medical care they'd recieve there, it was far too dangerous! Order 66 was still out there, he didn't know what the other clones would do now that Lord Sidious was no more. There may even be an arrest order out for Anakin, too. He'd have to find out for sure what was going on there before returning, but in the meantime his passengers had to get immediate care. Infection would set in on Anakin's wounds, and the more time passed, the less chance there would be of saving his sight. His breathing difficulties were also of great concern. He changed directions and headed for Naboo.