Chapter 9

Kyra grins in admiration as they finally reach their destination. After their first, and second, shared kiss, Demetri found it incredible hard to keep his fingers by himself, forcing them to stop ever so often in order to let him press his lips to hers; even, if it's just for a second.

There aren't many people up here, actually there are no people besides them and Kyra believes it has something to do with Demetri or any of the other Volturi members.

Demetri send Valentina away a few miles back and in Kyra's eyes, the glittering body makes the scenery so much more beautiful.

"This is breath-taking."
the ginger haired girl comments while sitting down, letting her legs swing over the edge.

Demetri sits down behind her, his arms wrapped around her securely in an attempt to keep her from falling down.

"It is."
he agrees while glancing at her for a moment before going back to admire the view himself. Despite his long, immortal life, he has never been up here. he just never found it important, thinking he could do it some other time and he's never regret that decision. Experiencing this with Kyra makes it seem so much more... epic.

They sit like this for a while, just savouring the sound of nature and capturing the feeling of each other's arms.

"It was many and many a year ago."
Demetri starts to hum in Kyra's ear.

"In a kingdom by the sea."
he continues.

Annabel Lee; it's her favourite poem; always has been. It was her goodnight story when she was afraid of the dark; the lines she would mumble to herself when she was alone; the words echoing in her mind when she was asleep. It was the story, that makes her heart ache and melt at the same time. The lines, that made her believe in love.

"That a maiden there lived whom you may know. By the name of Annabel Lee."
Demetri whispers lowly.

"And this maiden she lived with no other thought."
he says.

"Then to love and be loved by me."
Kyra mumbles along with him as a smile makes its way on her face.

"I was a child and she was child, in this kingdom by the sea."
Demetri means alone again.

"But we loved with a love that was more than love. I and my Annabel Lee."
he hums and for the first time, Kyra get an idea of what that means. It is the first time she feels love so much stronger than what she imaged it to be. The first time Kyra got a feeling close to Demetri's.

"With a love that the winged seraphs of heaven coveted her and me."
Demetri continues warmly.

"And this was the reason that, long ago, in this kingdom by the sea. A wind blew out of the cloud, chilling my Annabel Lee."
he means.

"So that her highborn kinsman came and bore her away from me. To shut her up in a sepulchre in this kingdom by the sea."
Demetri hums against her skin before pressing a soft kiss behind her ear.

In this moment, he felt so normal; so...human. And while he wouldn't give up his vampirisms, he enjoys the rare moment, in which he can be Demetri instead of a member of the elite guard. A moment, in which he doesn't have to obey to anyone. A second, in which he can be the man, his human self would have liked him to be.

"The angels not half so happy in heaven, went envying her and me."
he goes back to telling the story.

"Yes! That was the reason as all men know, in this kingdom by the sea."
Demetri means as Kyra leans closer to him.

The sun has gone down, leaving a slight shade of red, orange and black, that reflects in the river below. And in this moment, Kyra could have sworn she is in heaven.