Robert

"Zach's dad? As in...Zach's dad?"

"Yes, Zach's dad as in Zach's dad," Camila snorted. "I'm just as surprised as you are. I mean, he had to have read the book...right? Why would he recommend a book thats based solely around the abuse and toxicity of a relationship with his son to a publisher like Harper Collins?"

"Do you trust him?"

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"I mean, I've never met the guy. Do you feel like this is something he'd do just to be kind...or do you think he'd have other intentions?" Camila furrowed her brows and looked down at the table. "I'm not trying to accuse him of anything, I just...I don't know. If he's anything like Zach I wouldn't be surprised if he had an ulterior motive."

"No, I get why you'd think that," Camila sighed. "He's always seemed like a really great guy—nothing like Zach. Still...it's just strange."

"Hm, okay. Well congratulations, baby! This is such a huge deal and I'm so proud of you. Have I mentioned that? Have I mentioned that I'm proud of you?"

"Only a few times," she giggled. "I'm gonna head out now. Good luck with the rest of your set. I'll see you back at home."

"Sounds good, baby." He leaned in and gave her a quick peck on the lips. "Maybe we could go out tonight to celebrate? It's been a while since we've gone on a proper date."

"I'd love that." Camila left and Shawn got back up on stage to finish his show. Camila got in her car with the intention to drive back to her apartment, but found herself in the parking lot of Zach's dad's company instead. She knew it was a bold move, but she needed to know why he did it. She got out of her car and walked through the large glass double doors up to the receptionist's desk.

"Hello, is Mr. Azure in? I'd like to talk to him."

"Do you have an appointment?" she asked in an annoyed tone.

"No...can you just tell him Camila is here?" The receptionist rolled her eyes and reluctantly picked up her phone to call Robert.

"Some girl named Camila is here to see you..." She judgementally scanned Camila up and down. "Oh...okay. I'll tell her." She hung up the phone and looked up to Camila. "He's on his way." She nodded and took a seat in one of the leather chairs as she waited for him.

"Camila! It's so good to see you sweetheart."

"It's good to see you too, Robert." He held his arms open for a hug and she obliged.

"Look at you!" His eyes traveled down to her bump briefly before moving back up to her face. "You're glowing. Motherhood suits you."

"Thank you," she said shyly.

"Come to my office. We can talk more in there." Camila nodded and followed him into his large, modern office. "So, what brings you here today?"

"Well," she sighed as she took a seat in one of the chairs across from his desk. "I had an interesting meeting with Leo Scott from Harper Collins today."

"Oh?" He cocked his eyebrow.

"He said his good friend Robert Azure recommended my book to him."

"Well he wasn't supposed to tell you that part," he chuckled and shook his head. "I hope you don't mind. You're a very talented writer, Camila. Your words deserve to be read."

"Well thank you," Camila said humbly. "Out of curiosity, did...did you read it?"

"Of course I did." He cleared his throat and readjusted in his seat. "And honestly, I feel like I should apologize on behalf of my son. When he told me the real reason you guys broke up, I was incredibly disappointed in him. I was under the impression that he was the kind of man who would step up and take care of his family in a situation like that. I never imagined he would've reacted the way he did. When I read through your poetry, my heart shattered. It killed me to know that such an incredible girl like you was stuck in such a painful relationship for so long, and it killed me even more to know that the boy that hurt you is the same boy that I raised."

"He wasn't always a bad boyfriend, and even when he was...it wasn't your fault."

"I got a call last weekend," he sighed. "He had been arrested for assaulting his new girlfriend. Well, ex-girlfriend now." His eyes were welling up with tears. "He begged me to pay his bail but I couldn't do it. He needs to get his shit together. My mom was abused by my dad for years—sometimes physical, but mostly emotional. It took such an enormous toll on her and when Zachary was born I was determined to raise him to be a better man than my father was. I don't know where I went wrong, but Denise and I just wanted you to know that we've always loved you and that we're incredibly sorry that you had to endure so much pain because of him."

"Robert, I'm so sorry—"

"You don't need to apologize. If anyone should be apologizing it should be me. I'm sorry we didn't notice sooner. I'm sorry you felt trapped. I'm sorry he wasn't better to you."

"I promise you it's not your fault. So...you got me the book deal because you felt guilty?" she asked cautiously.

"No," he stated. "I read your work and knew your talent deserved to be showcased properly. All I did was give your name to an old friend in the publishing industry. Him wanting to meet with you and offering a book deal...that's all on you. You did that yourself because you're incredibly talented and he recognized that." Camila smiled softly and looked down at her hands in her lap.

"Well thank you for recommending me."

"Anytime." Robert looked at the time and sighed. "I'm really sorry, but I've got a meeting to get to."

"Oh, no worries!" Camila stood up from her chair. They exchanged another hug and just as she was about to turn and walk out the door her stopped her again.

"Camila, I know you well enough to know that you wouldn't accept any handouts...but just know that if you ever need any financial help with your child, Denise and I will always be willing to help you. You wouldn't need to pay us back and we don't expect to be a part of the child's life...but we're willing to help should you ever need it."

"Thank you," she said genuinely. "That's very generous of you. Um, would you mind...not telling Zach that we talked?"

"That shouldn't be an issue," he sighed. "He made it pretty clear after we refused to pay his bail that he didn't want anything to do with us anymore."

"I'm sorry to hear that." Camila reached into her purse and pulled out one of her recent ultrasound pictures and handed it to him. "For you and Denise." He nodded as he looked at the small baby in the picture.

"Thank you," he said with a teary smile. "You're going to be a fantastic mother."