Chapter 3

I had finally put my bed together at around 7 or 8 o'clock. I couldn't sleep, never really been able to. Fights, screams, threats... and always a locked door. I shook my head smacked down into the crumpled blackets. Comfiest bed in years.

~

I woke up to the sun shining in my eyes and an itch from the hay.

'Just what I needed, more scars and scratches'

I got up and brushed my thick brown hair, leaving it down. I changed into a clean shirt that covered my back but exposed my belly. I leaved my jeans on and slipped my combat boots back on, dirt and blood traces skimmed the bottoms.

I grabbed each blanket and threw it to the side saying "F**k this barn. F**k f**k-"

"Better watch yo' mouth, April," Daryl said getting up from the outside ladder.

"You ain't the boss of me!" I snarled back.

"Technically I am," He snapped back.

"Whatever!" I grumbled.

"Ya've been asleep for awhile, came to check on ya'," He said shifting his hand around his crossbow strap.

"Really? I said in disbelief. I was never able to sleep for more than a couple of hours.

"Come on, ya' gotta get some breakfast," He said waving his hand toward the outside ladder.

I grabbed my crossbow and headed out with him.

When I stepped into the house I was flooded with greetings and pats on the back. I was uncomfortable with how touchy feely everyone was since I never really had all that.

Carol walked up to me and handed me a plate of fruit and scrambled eggs.

I sat down at the table and ate the plate Carol gave me. Daryl sat next to me and made sure I ate. Couldn't throw away food with him watching me. After I had finished enough I pushed the plate away. Daryl grabbed it and disapeared into the kitchen for awhile, chatting it up with Rick about getting a tent so I could stay with the others.

"Already eat?" Carl said sitting across from me.

"...Yeah. Fruit and some eggs. How long have you been up?" I said not looking at him.

"For a couple of hours. Set anything up in the barn yet?" He replied tipping up his Sheriff hat.

"Uhh....no, but if we can get an old basket we can probably try and play Basketball soon..." I said smirking a little.

"Haven't played that in a loooong time," Carl said as Lori came up behind him and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Hey, still gotta do your chores. C'mon now," She said still having one hand under her bulging stomach.

Carl got up and gave me a smirk before leaving with his mom.

Daryl came up behind me and nudged me before saying, "Hey, we're gonna go hunting. Ready?"

"uh...sure," I mumbled.

I got up and we headed out of the house.

'Great,'  I thought 'even more time with people.'