Chapter 30

I curled deeper into the warm covers on my bed, not wanting to get up.

A loud knock on the door made me squirm. The door opened and someone sat on the edge of my bed.

"Time to get up, April," Daryl said elbowing me in the foot. I kicked him in the side and groaned.

"Hey!" he said when I kicked him. He laid back on the bed next to me and put his forearm on his forehead like he always did.

"Damn, this is one comfy bed!" he said letting out a sigh. He grabbed the hem of the covers above me, pulled them off me and wrapped them around himself.

"Hey!" I said climbing on top of him, trying to get the covers back.

"Mine," he grumbled and buried his head into a pillow.

"No...they're-MINE!" I yanked the covers from him and fell off the bed. "Ow!"

I rubbed my head and he popped his head over the edge of the bed.

"You up yet?" he asked grinning.

"Yes, bed-hog," I replied sending him a nasty glance.

He returned the glance and got off the bed. He stuck his hand out and helped me up.

"Wait," I said climbing on top of the bed and standing up. "Turn around."

"Wha'?" he asked confused.

"Just do it."

He turned around and I jumped on his back. He stumbled forward before realizing what I did.

"Onward my steed!" I said putting my hand out toward the door.

He chuckled and walked through the door. I ducked so I wasn't hit on the head again.

"For a 14 year old you sure are childish," he said.

I pointed to the stairs and yelled out, "DOWN THE TREACHEROUS STAIRS MY LONG-HAIRED PONY!"

I heard some feet shuffle as we went down the stairs and Carol and Hershel appeared at the bottom of the stairs.

Hershel gave us an odd glare before laughing and wiping his hands while walking away.

Carol had her arms folded and laughed at us. "What are you two doing?" she asked as we stepped down in front of her.

"HE IS MY MIGHTY STEED! DO NOT LAUGH FAIR MAIDEN!" I yelled again shooting my hand into the air.

I slid off of Daryl's back and walked away from the laughing couple with my hand still in the air and a big frown on my face.

They laughed harder as I walked in to the lounging/library area where I fed Judith earlier.

Carl was reading a book in a chair with his back on the seat and feet in the air.

I closed the door and walked over to him with my hands behind my back, swaying stupidly side to side.

I grabbed the book from his hands and read a couple sentences.

"What is this?" I asked flipping through some pages.

"Looking for Alaska," he replied putting his hands on his chest.

"Never read it," I said slipping a bookmark in between the pages

I set the book down and walked over to him, picking up his hat on the way.

I put the hat on and kneeled in front of his face.

I pecked his forehead looked at his beautiful blue eyes.

"Carl," I said, "I can't find my machete. Do you know where it is?"

He smiled and nodded yes.

"Where?" I asked leaning closer towards him.

"I ain't telling you," he said swinging his legs over the arms of the chair and sitting up right.

"Why not?" I leaned closer towards him.

"Because you'll have to find it if you want it back," he replied leaning closer so our noses were almost touching.

I stood up right and looked around the room. I folded my arms and looked back at him.

"It's in the bookshelf isn't it?" I inquired nodding my head slightly up and to the side.

He slumped back in his chair and nodded yes.

I walked over to the book shelf and stood on my tip-toes to reach the top shelf. I pulled the blade down just as Carl looped his arms around my waist and rested his head on my shoulder.

"You're no fun in hiding things," he said gloomily.

"I was on my own for 2 out of the 3 years this has been going on. I had to get good at Hide & Seek," I replied pecking his cheek.

"Are we dating?" he asked standing up straight.

My cheeks burned red and I looked at him. "I think we are if we've kissed and and pretty much act like we are. Why?"

"If we ever meet any other teenagers, I'm telling them you're mine," he replied taking his hat back.

"And you're mine," I said hugging him.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Boring chapter, I know. I was goin got do something big for the 30th chapter like I did with the 20th but I'm going to save it for the 35th.

Hang in there, it'l speed up.