Chapter 9

Daryl was sitting in the corner of the room, out like a light. I tried to sit up, but I groaned as the pain surged through my shoulder. 

I looked over at Daryl and saw he had streaks down his dirty cheeks. He had a new red plaid shirt with long sleeves. The one he had been wearing when we went out scouting was balled up on the floor by his feet. The left side of it was bloody and useless.

I felt dizzy and my head felt very heavy all of a suddden. I laid my head down faster than I had planned and a heard a big poof. I let out a sigh and my eyelids felt very heavy. I fell back asleep, the covers keeping me warm in the cooling air.

~Daryl's POV~

When the f**k is she going to wake up? Please be soon

I rubbed my eyes and rested my head on my hand. How long have I been asleep? Did she wake up? I looked over at April and felt both relief and worry wash over me. 

The door opened and I snapped my head to look at it. Carol walked in, her combat boots echoing in the wide room.

"Dinner's almost ready. You should come and eat," She said walking over and standing next to me. Her gentle hand was rubbing up and down my back, trying to ease me. "You've been in here all day, you need to eat," she said looking down at me.

Without thinking I wrapped and arm around her waist and pulled her closer. I rested my head against her hip. She stroked her hand over my hair and said, "Come on, everyone'll be waiting."

I followed her out of the room. Somehow Carol made eveything seem less scary. Maybe that's why I liked her so much.

She made me feel safe.