Confused - Chapter 3

There's a long awkward silence in the car. The only thing I can hear is Josh tapping his fingers lightly on the steering wheel.

"Who's going to be there? Will I know anyone?" I break the silence. Josh smiles at me.

"Um.. well do you know Jakob, Erik or Addie?" he asks me, turning his eyes back on the road.

"Never heard of them. You know I only know like, Andre," I sigh. I'm so behind. I need some catching up to do.

"Don't worry about it. I'm going to leave you anyway," Josh laughs at the look of horror that appears on my face.

"Kidding, kidding! Don't worry I won't leave you," he leans over and squeezes my hand comfortingly.

"I think a few others are going to be there. Jakob just told me briefly who's coming," Josh shrugs. I slump into the seat, the seatbelt digging into my chest.

-----------------

"Here it is!" Josh shouts all of a sudden. I sit up properly and take a look outside the car window. The sky has turned pinkish orange, and the ocean shimmers.

I hear Josh get out of the car, so I do the same.

"It's nice out here huh?" Josh says quietly as he faces the sky.

"Mm," I reply. Josh puts his arm around me tightly. I lean my head on his shoulder automatically. Even though I want this moment to last forever, something obviously cuts it off.

"JOSSSSSSSH!" a voice screams from behind us. Josh releases me and we both turn around.

"Hey Jake, hey Erik" Josh man-hugs a tall red-headed boy. A boy around the same height as Josh with ruffled blonde hair follows.

"Who's the lucky girl?" Jake or Erik -or whatever their names are- smirks at Josh, nudging him expectantly. I turn beetroot red.

"Guys this is Gen. We've been best friends our whole lives. Gen, this is Jakob and Erik," Josh introduces us, pointing at the red-head first, then the blonde. I shake hands with them awkwardly.

"So is she your girlfriend?" Jakob asks wriggling his eyebrows. I burn up again, and I take a quick glance at Josh, who's slightly pink as well.

"Nah. Just best friends," Josh answers quickly. "Where's Addie?" he changes the subject.

"She's coming soon. We can just hang here till then," Erik replies. I look around expectantly for a car to come zooming in.

"Wanna go sit on the beach then? Gen?" Josh waves a hand in front of my face.

"Oh. Um.. yeah, sure," I snap back to attention. I walk behind Josh and his mates, hoping to blend right into the sky. This is an awkward situation; being stuck here with strangers and even worse, Josh forgetting his promise to stay with me.

I sit down onto the rock, digging my toes into the warm sand. I watch Erik jump onto Josh's back and each one of them attack each other with water and wet sand. I roll my eyes, and laugh.

"They're so immature," a voice says behind me. I spin around. A girl with black hair tied in a plait slips down beside me. There's a moment of silence as we watch them muck around.

"I'm Addie by the way," she introduces herself sweetly. So this is the famous Addie.

"Gen," I reply.

"You a friend of Josh's?"

"Yeah,"

"Same. Don't worry, I'm not some random," she reassures me, laughing. I exchange a smile with her. I can't help bit like her.