Confused - Chapter 4

"Geeeen! How's the Hutchie's?" a voice screams in my ear as I pick it up. I roll my eyes.

"Hi Grace. I know you only called for Josh," I groan. I hear Grace giggle.

"I'm sorry! He's just sooooooo cute!" she squeals.

"Ew. Stop it. It's weird, he's my best friend," I plead her, folding my white lace dress and placing it in my cupboard.

"I thought I'm your bestie," Grace jokes.

"Fine, he's my other best friend," I reply.

"Ooooh. How is Josh?" Grace says flirtatiously. I groan.

"Josh is fine," I place the phone on speaker as I hook up some clothes into the wardrobe.

"Can you take a picture of him and send it to me? PLEEEASE?" she shrieks. I walk back to the phone.

"Ew, no. That's really spooky and stalkerish Grace," I scoff. I can almost see Grace giving me puppy dog eyes.

"But Jos--"

"Okay honestly, no more about Josh," I cut her off.

"What about Josh?" I spin around and see Josh leaning in the doorway. My cheeks burn.

"I'll call you back later Grace," I say quickly before she can protest. Josh looks at me suspiciously, a huge smile creeping up his face.

"What?" I snap, placing my toiletries in the bedroom's bathroom. Josh's grin grows. If that's even possible.

"Nothing. What about Josh?" he asks cautiously. I roll my eyes.

"I told you, nothing!"

"There's obviously something. Oh! I know! You have a huge crush on me and you're telling your friend about it!" he teases me, making up for before. I shake my head slightly.

"Pfft. As if. Other way round. Grace has a huge crush on you," I burst out laughing at Josh's eyebrow waggling.

"Soooo.. is she hot?" he jokes. I nod and give him a thumbs up.

"Blonde, blue eyes. Perfect body," I say truthfully. Grace is stunning. Absolutely everyone in high school fell for her. All the girls wanted to become her best friend. Boys pleaded her to be with them. Strangely, she chose me. And she chose her dream boy to be Josh.

"Oh gosh, she sounds like a barbie," Josh retorts. I stifle a laugh.

"She's really nice too," I inform him. He chuckles.

"You know I'm joking right?"

"Well duh," I rub my hands together. "All done,"

Josh sighs in relief.

"Now we can go out!" he yells suddenly. I jump with surprise.

"We already did," I moan, "And it didn't turn out absolutely wonderful,"

"Okay then. Change of plans," Josh rolls his eyes and laughs at my pickiness. I stand up.

"What are we gonna do?" I ask curiously.

"Oh I know! Why don't we continue our movie nights-- well afternoon?" he suggests.

"Oh my gosh! We haven't done that in aaages!" I laugh. "What letter are we up to?"

"I think we're up to 'i' or 'j'," Josh frowns in concentration, making me giggle.

"We already did 'i'. Remember how you chose 'I Love You Beth Cooper'?" I laugh. Josh joins in.

"So that means we're up to 'j', and it's your shot to choose the movie. Go load something on my laptop. I'm gonna go to the shops to find some food beginning with 'j'," Josh murmurs, more to himself than to me.

I laugh and walk upstairs to find his laptop. I walk into his pigsty of a bedroom and I grab his macbook. I switch it on, and I wait patiently for the purple space background to pop up. Finally, it does. I click onto the user 'Josh', but oh no, he just HAS to lock it with a password. I groan and type in all sorts of things. All of them get rejected. I try some of his old passwords. They're wrong too. I yank my iPhone out of my pocket and start to punch in Josh's number, while typing in random things. I press 'dial', I put it on speaker and place it beside me. I spot the hint button underneath the password box. I click it hurridely. The hint is useless. All is has is nineteen hearts. Nineteen hearts. Nineteen hearts? That's my age. Out of curiosity, knowing that it is obviously not going to work, I type in my name: Genevieve. A ding startles me, and in my shock, I've logged onto his laptop. I gape at the screen, shocked. Why would he do that? I'm so confused I almost miss Josh's voice through my phone.

"Gen? Gen? Are you there?" Josh calls. I snap back to attention.

"Oh um, yeah," I reply clumsily.

"You need to tell me something?" he asks.

"Oh um, nah don't worry. I got it," I answer.

"All right. I'll be home soon. This stupid queue is taking forever! See ya soon babe. I-- I mean Gen. Yes Gen," before I know it, I'm listening to the dial tone. I sit on his bed, stunned. My name as his password, him calling me babe? And this morning when Connor blurted out that Josh talked about ME the whole summer? Strange. I stare at the purple desktop in bewilderment. I shake the wild thoughts out of my head.

------------------

"Gen? I'm home!" Josh shouts into the empty lounge room. I stumble downstairs, carrying his mac.

"About time," I laugh.

"Sorry, the paps followed me," he mutters, angrily. Then he stares at his unlocked laptop.

"Didn't I lock it?" he asks, popping the plastic bags on the kitchen bench. I shake my head.

"Nope, it was on. Connor was probably on it," I lie. I am NOT going to tell him now. It's too embarrassing! I argue with my thoughts silently. I can feel Josh's gaze on me.

"What did you buy?" I ask, breaking the uncomfortable silence. Josh pulls stuff out of the bags.

"Jaffa's, jelly and juice. I couldn't find anything savoury, though," he apologises. I shrug.

"We can always just make 2 minute noodles," I laugh. Josh collapses onto the couch.

"What movie did you choose?" he asks, ripping open the Jaffa's packet.

"Journey 2 to the Mysterious Island!"

"Oh.. no! Not THAT movie!" Josh grunts. I giggle.

"Too bad. You chose a boring movie last time. This time, since I chose it, it's going to be fun! I mean, it has Vanessa Hudgens in it!" I claim, happily. Josh winces at the mention of Vanessa's name. He and Vanessa were 'dating', well I don't know if they were, but all the tabloids said they were. I actually think Josh was going to make it official, but then Vanessa ran off with some other guy. That broke Josh's heart. I will never forgive her for doing that to him. I suddenly feel horrible.

"We don't have to watch it..." I mumble, apologising. Josh shakes his head.

"Nah it's fine. It'll be.. interesting," he says uncertainly, popping a jaffa into his mouth. I open my mouth and stare at him expectantly. Josh rolls his eyes and grins, then throws a jaffa into my open mouth.

"How long have we've been practising that for?" I ask, giggling.

"Years," Josh answers. "Now let's watch. Where's those noodles?"

"I'll go make them," I leap up and walk to the kitchen, the thoughts still screaming in my head.

Hey guys! I didn't want to rush them into a relationship, so I'm going to keep a couple more chapters with them being.. well, 'just friends'. Well, enjoy, I'm getting the next chapter up tomorrow!

Dee, x