His Butler, Able

~September 1887~

It's been about three months since that fateful day, your life at the Phantomhive manor has not been so easy as you thought it would. Getting up early is a pain, so is some of the tedious work you have to do due to the incompetence of certain servants. The young master was not cruel, at least to his servants, his butler, however, is a different story. Devilishly witty and easily angered, the two of you locked horns now and then if you weren't scolding the other servants Mey-rin, Finny, and Baldroy. Unlike them you got your work done without question, maybe a sarcastic remark towards Sebastian but he's trying to teach you how to talk to superiors which you still seem to have a problem with.

The sun has barely risen when a knock came from the other side of your door. Groaning loud enough to let the person know you'd rather stay in you rolled over and put your head under your pillow.

"Y/n get up!!" Mey-rin nearly yelled. You whined through your pillow like a dry sob. "You know how Sebastian gets when you're up late. Come on!"

"Alright, alright I'm coming." Anything not to deal with that man. Sighing into your pillow you heard her footsteps recede as you groaned again and began to get ready. Tying your apron on you rubbed the back of your neck and stretched. Cracking almost every bone in your back woke you up, and you begrudgingly went upstairs to the kitchen to receive your orders from Sebastian.

~

"Mey-rin, the bedding, Bard you are to see to lunch preparations, Finny, weed the garden. I will awake the young master in two hours for his breakfast. I expect your chores to be done at least more than halfway. And here you are finally Y/n, better timing than usual, you are to see to the library." There stood Sebastian Michaelis, the butler clad in black. All butlers normally wear black but nothing seemed to fit him more perfect than black as if the colour was made for him. His crimson eyes bore into your e/c waiting for a response. Your lack of respect to authority forces him to make you practice perfect answers at all times. Not wanting to deal with him today you replied with a yes sir and turned on your heels quickly to start your first set of chores.

The library, you were in love with it. So many books to pore over on your days off and spare time. Easily distracted in this room you shook off the thought of grabbing a book and dropping to the ground. You began dusting shelves, wiping tables, fluffing pillows, and scrubbing the floor. Never in your dizziest daydreams did you ever think you'd be scrubbing floors. You finished your work lightly sweating and proceeded to the dining hall to greet the young master as he had his breakfast. He sat there with darts and threw one at Finnian as you entered the room.

"Ow ow ow owwww! What'd you do that for master?" He looked at him with puppy dog eyes that would make anyone melt. This did not unnerve the young boy, "nothing, I don't need to justify my actions." The poor blonde boy looked at him confused. You silently laughed as you greeted the young lord, "Good morning sir," you curtsied a little tipping your head down slightly. He nodded as a way of acknowledging you and you made your way over to Finny to remove the dart from the back of his head.

The doors burst open and you rolled your eyes while facing the wall, you know all too well who it was. "Mey-rin did you do the bedding?" The red-headed maid began to stutter. "Baldroy weren't you supposed to be seeing to the lunch preparations?" Bard simply scratched his head. "Finny did you finish weeding the garden?" "Well- I- um.." Not waiting for a response, he turned to you. "Y/n, I trust you finished the library?" You turned to him and answered yes quickly and more sharply than you intended. He raised an eyebrow and you widened your eyes slightly for a second but stayed silent. "You will have the billiards room to attend to next." You tipped your head slightly without breaking eye contact. "Tanaka..." He looked back at the little elderly man. "Well, I suppose you're fine as you are. Now the rest of you this is no time to be idle. So get to work!"

The trio ran off to their appointed duties. "Yes sir!" yelled Mey-rin. "Simply hopeless." You sniggered slightly and walked off towards the billiards room. It was smaller compared to the library so you were done in a shorter amount of time. Making your way to the kitchen for your lunch you noticed the servants cowering under Sebastian and you smelled burnt beef and smoke coming from the kitchen. We may save this night yet was all you heard him say before he turned towards you smiling. That closed eye smile, you knew something was up and he needed you to do something. You sort of wanted to go smack Bard for whatever he did to land you with tedious work. "Ah there you are, your assistance is needed. At least you aren't like those three so this should be easy for you. I've instructed Finny to get gravel, we are transforming the garden to a Japanese style stone garden for the young lord and his guest to have their dinner. I need you to take the rake and smooth out the gravel in a spiral manner. Can you do that?"

"I suppose so sir." You smirked at him slightly irked. You were not the most artistic person but you tried your best to arrange the garden nicely. Sebastian was satisfied with your work and that was all that mattered. Finally, the guest arrived. All of the servants were outside to greet him. You all bowed and greeted him and he complimented the garden which made you feel a jolt of happiness. Sebastian winked at you while escorting the guest inside. You tensed up and blinked a couple of times before shaking it off. Mey-rin pulled you inside to have what was dinner for you servants. You all made your way outside to the garden to watch Sebastian and Mey-rin serve the young master and his guest. Sitting in the bushes squished between Bard and Finny you smacked Bard on the head. "Hey, what was that for doll?" he rubbed his head. "Stop using firearms to cook! How many times must I tell you!" "Force of habit ya know." You two continued chattering until Finny shushed you guys to watch Mey-rin. Horrifying enough she spilt the wine all over the tablecloth. In a split second, Sebastian ripped the tablecloth from the table without disturbing a thing. You looked in awe and questioned how it was humanly possible. There was just no way, not even the best institutes in Chiswick produce servants that can do that. Finny and Bard dragged Mey-rin away and Sebastian snapped his fingers at you when you grabbed the wine from her indicating you stay. You stood there for what seemed forever while they ate.

~

"Mey-rin, learn to be more careful." You giggled at the flustered maid. "It's just Sebastian and the way he looked at meee. I couldn't stand it. That is one handsome specimen that is Y/n" she blushed. "Ahh, I'm such a mess." She swung the bucket around until it popped off. "Mey- the bucket." You gaped at her and began to laugh. "Y/n stop laughing and help." She desperately looked for the part that flew off. You had other things to do like finish clearing the table. By the time you were done, you came back inside to see the guest on the floor with his leg twisted. He was yelling in obvious pain. Running for Sebastian you accidentally bumped into his chest and he instantly caught you. Panting, you told him of the guest by the main staircase. "I know already don't worry." He spoke softly and that's when you noticed how close you both were. He carefully tucked a strand of your h/c hair behind your ears and you felt your cheeks grow warm. "You should really tie your hair up properly. Gives me the opportunity to do that," he gave his infamous closed eye smile and removed his hand from the small of your back and walked away. "Oh, and a job well done today."

~

Carefully untying the strings of your apron and letting down your h/l hair you took a steaming hot bath. Sitting in the tub letting your muscles relax, you thought of your day. You thought of Sebastian, how close he held you, staring at you and fixing your hair. Sinking further into the tub you hugged yourself as you started to get a single butterfly in your stomach which made you anxiously curl up even more. The water becoming cold brought you back to reality and you hurriedly stepped out of the tub and dried off. Dropping yourself in your bed, you fell asleep almost immediately.