His Butler, Suspects

Down in the kitchen all of you, save for Tanaka who was attending to the guests upstairs, were cleaning up after the party. You cleaned the dishes while Sebastian dried and Mey-rin put away. Bard and Finny cleaned up the kitchen for tomorrow's work day. Suddenly a bell rang startling you a bit, Mey-rin went to check what room required assistance. 

She groaned, "It's Herr von Siemens' room."

"Probably woke up with a splittin' headache and wanted some water," Bard said.

"I don't want to go the man was pawing all over me earlierrr." 

"I'll come with you," Sebastian offered looking up. 

"Ooh you're worried about me Sebastian?" Mey-rin lit up.

"No it's our guest I'm more worried about. He envied a bit more wine than is generally advisable." You all trekked upstairs to the room he was staying in. Knocking on the door Sebastian asked if he was alright but was answered with glass shattering and a scream. Your eyes widened as Mey-rin banged in the door begging him to answer. All the other guests came running asking what the commotion was about.

"Stand back I'll handle this," two kicks was all it took to knock the door off its hinges though you knew Sebastian could've busted it open with his finger. Everyone gasped as lightning struck, illuminating the room showing Herr Siemens slumped in the armchair ,his face in a state of shock. Mey-rin screamed and Mr. Phelps fainted, but luckily Mr. Woodley had quick hands and caught him. "Please if I may," Dr. Arthur brushed pass you to inspect the body, grabbing his wrist to check his pulse. "This man is dead." 

"But how can that be?"

"How dreadful."

"I heard screaming what's all the commotion about? Herr von Siemens!" the young lord came in with his robe on led by Tanaka with a surprised look in his eye. 

'The young lord is surprised, Sebastian looks confused. Sebastian was with me the whole time and well, we all know the young lord would've shot him but there were no gunshots. Glass shattered though... Nothing is broken I set this room up myself... What the hell. Another supernatural being? Maybe someone snuck in? Sebastian would sense them immediately. If not it's impossible.'

Everyone piled in the room as you observed, slowly pacing the room. You narrowed your eyes and peeked under the bed. Nothing... Dusty though. Walking over to the window you observed the floor and rattled the window a bit. The floor was dry as a bone and the ceiling to floor windows were slightly stiff indicating they haven't been opened recently. "Achoo!" you sneezed all of a sudden quickly covering your face in the crook of your elbow, the dust finally finished tickling your nose allowing you to sneeze. "Wow you even sneeze like a kitten," Sebastian looked at you and chuckled. "Oh hush, " you said softly standing next to him, his arm at your waist and your hand gripping the back of his tailcoat. 

Your anxiety built up in your stomach making you hot and bothered in desperate need to tighten your corset but also wanting to rip it off along with the rest of your clothes. Feeling overwhelmed you breathed out, "God can it get any warmer." You swayed side to side ready to pass out when Sebastian pulled out the chair for you to sit down, standing behind it fanning you. "I did warm the room in advance,  perhaps he was feeling chill."

"It may be indelicate to say so but at this rate he'll decompose fast, even if we put the fire out it'll still be too warm," Bard piped up.  

"I agree, we ought to move him to a cool place till a medical examiner comes and thoroughly examines him," said Doctor Arthur. 

"As you say, they cellar is most likely the best place for him, " Sebastian agreed, "Finny fashion a stretcher."

~

"Right, the Yard obviously won't be here and we are cut off from society because of the storm. Meaning two things, we are stuck here and the murderer is most likely still inside the manor," Mr. Lau inserted.

"Let's be logical people," Earl Grey started, "it only makes sense one of us is the perpetator."

"Rubbish!"

"Thats positively absurd!"

He was bombarded with retorts shutting him up for the moment. 

"What would be the motive though most of us have never met before?"

"And does anyone find it strange that the door was locked when we arrived?" Miss Irene's small voice of reason brought light to an important aspect. "So it seems to me the person entered the room through the window and locked the door to buy time to escape the same way the came."

"Rain means mud, they would most likely leave footprints if they came from outside, anyway the window appears locked," Earl Grey rattled the window like you did earlier.

"That solves it then, the only other way is they must have locked the door from the hallway."

About to shoot down Mr. Keane's theory with the fact you were all out there when he was most likely murdered it was impossible, Sebastian interrupted you saying no one was distributed keys so it was not possible to lock it from the outside, and there were fitted deadbolts indicated the door could only be locked from the inside. Theories upon theories were thrown around ending with the young lord referring to a trick used in a novel. 

"The needle and thread trick, first you fasten a threaded needle by the edge of the door, next you pass the thread underneath the door before exiting the room. All you have to door is carefully release the thread as you leave. It's so simple it's become a cliché in mystery novels. The killer isn't probably trying to copy a novel, its just the only reasonable explanation," he folded his hand leaning against the mantle.

"Hmph, that answers the locked room question but it doesn't narrow the suspects," Mr. Lau pointed out. 

"Then we simply have to put together where everyone was at the time," you interjected wanting to retire to your room quickly, although nothing made sense to you. No matter, tomorrow is a new day. "Alibis will be accounted for and we move on from there. During the time he rang for us servants and when we came, we were a group the whole time,  so where was everyone else?"

"Quick to rule yourself out huh?" Lord Grey scoffed making you bite your tongue trying to hold back the most sarcastic remark you ever had lest you lose your job on the spot.

"I know Irene and I were in the billiards room," Mr. Keane spoke out first, holding her close. "That's right, I was there as well," Doctor Arthur added. 

"Ran-Mao and I were drinking in the lounge together with Mr. Woodley."

"That's right, along with Mr. Phelps." Mr. Phelps was still unconscious being held up by Mr. Woodley. 

"That's not quite everyone," Earl Grey shot a look at the young lord. "Where were you at the time?"

"I was in my bed... asleep."

"And can anyone prove that?"

"No."

"Dear me, I guess you've become our prime suspect my lord what with your lack of an alibi and all." You looked at Sebastian urging him to step in but he just stood there, saying nothing. Not even some sorry excuse that these idiots could accept.

Later that night, Earl Grey had a rather convenient pair of manacles on hand. The young lord was to be chained to the doctor to prevent him from moving about. You highly doubted he was the one who did it, there was no underlying ego in his eye. Retiring to your room and stripping off your corset as fast as you could. You doubled over trying to cool your body down stripping of your layers keeping the bare minimum of your stiff dress on. You sat at your desk and dragged papers with an ink well and pen and began writing down your theories of what could've possibly happen. Too bad you didn't feel too well and fell asleep at your desk.