His Butler, Acting

The three of you had set off early the next morning. All day you three drove around in the carriage first to Scotland Yard who graciously turned over some information about the missing children. Inspector Abberline was quite surprised to see the three of you on the third floor given the fact that Sir Arthur had given explicit orders not to let any of you near the station. He was baffled on how you got in, you guessed he didn't notice the obvious winter air drifting in via open window. It's a wonder how he became an inspector. After walking out of the front door you visited the Undertaker's parlour, oh what amusing events took place there. Instead of letting Sebastian handle his work like always does, he ordered the both of you to stay out until he managed to make the Undertaker laugh. It took... several hours at the least, you sat in front conversing with Sebastian playing with your ring in your pocket. When the two of you went back in the poor young lord was a mess, his clothes dishevelled, and his hair was untidy. After Sebastian made the young lord presentable the Undertaker had no information, meaning the children that were missing were presumably alive, meaning it was time for the circus.

~

It. Smelled.

You thought you were going to die after catching a whiff of that, maybe the clean scent of tea and roses of the manor and Sebastian's tailcoat which you seem to be engrossed in often had spoiled your nose and you could no longer stand the scent of something awful. Holding your handkerchief to your nose the three of you presented your tickets at the door and went to find your seats, they weren't bad seats you had a perfect view of everything. Sadly you had the feeling you'd be spending some time there so you slowly fed your nose to the offensive odour. Very. Slowly. The gas lighting dimmed and the show began, a spotlight shone on one lanky chap with bright orange hair who was juggling. Kind of... dull for a first act. Juggling balls and a poor attempt to crack a few jokes bored you to death, leaning on Sebastian forced your head in the direction of the ring forcing you to look down at the performers coming into the ring setting up their various acts. No children were visible, at least none of the ones that were missing. "Now let the greatest show of the century begin!" the man named Joker shouted to the crowd, running away with everyone else to their respective stations as a HUGE man blew fire. "What would a circus want with children if they're not forcing them to perform or be used in their acts? Could it just be a coincidence that the kidnappings are en route with the circus?"

"Child labour perhaps," you whispered to the young lord. A crack of a whip made you flinch out of nowhere, even Sebastian tensed, "Last but not least, I bring ye the finest tamer of wildcats," a beautiful woman with short curly black hair and blood-red lips held a whip in her hand and a huge tiger under her prosthetic leg. "Beast!!" The crowd went as wild as society would permit, gasps from women and jeers from the men all applauding for the woman and her tiger. "This very special act calls for audience participation. Would anyone like to volunteer? Don't worry she won't bite I assure ya."

"It doesn't seem there are any children in the final act either. Brilliant what a perfect waste of time," the young lord complained.

"At least we know they aren't in any acts, would be stupid to have them perform in the open, after all, there are people looking." Sebastian stood up brushing your head off his shoulder in the process. "Oh ho, that gent in the tailcoat seems eager aye? Come down 'ere and join us." Sebastian made his way down to Beast and Joker while the audience clapped. "Right, if you could please lay dow- uh..." Sebastian walked pass him and Beast making the audience murmur. Before he reached his goal you noticed, the damn tiger was a cat. "Ah such beautiful big eyes."

Both you and the young master planted your head safely in your laps. 'This demon.' Not bothering to look up for the rest of the show you heard the tiger growl a few times and the audience scream. Beast attempted to regain control of her act but failed. Apparently Betty the tiger had bit him because you heard Beast scream for her to "spit him out". Not once but twice, or so you heard. You almost fell asleep amidst the chaos thankfully the show was soon to be over.

~

"ACHOO!"

"DAMMNIT you know perfectly well I'm allergic to cats you idiot!!! Stay away from me," he pointed his walking stick at Sebastian and beckoned you to follow him with his head. After walking with the young master who was still sneezing and bickering you pulled him over behind a tent, "What in the blazes- "

"Shh..." you held a finger up to him, looking back at Sebastian and Joker talking but making it a point not to be seen by them. "He's inviting him backstage, shall Sebastian go?" The young lord nodded his head and you heard Sebastian agree and walk off with Joker. "Do you think you can get closer to know what they're saying Y/n, I'd rather know beforehand so I don't have to acknowledge the bastard." You looked down at the small figure gripping the side of your dress trying to look past you he really almost looks like a little kid clinging on to you like that. Sometimes you want to crush him in a hug other times you just want to crush him, either way, you have too much respect to baby him. He caught you staring at him and immediately released you hiding his pink cheeks and coughed his embarrassment away. "Come let's go, we'll wait for him in the carriage."

~

"Mmm, I doubt it is mere coincidence. Someone could intentionally be tailing the circus using it as a scapegoat since it is hardly unnoticeable that children go missing every specific city they perform in. It could be one member or the whole cas-"

"ACHOO!!!" his sneeze interrupted your theories.

"Oh for goodness sakes cover your mouth my lord," you took your handkerchief and dabbed at his nose while rolling your eyes. Sebastian came in and sat net to the blushing boy who knocked his walking stick on the roof of the carriage. "Now that I think about it, the entire cast would be too large to pull off something like this... maybe the ring leader and the main cast?"

"The ring leader is not among them actually," Sebastian piped up. "Joker is only the hired help as he called it. Apparently, he gets his orders from someone who isn't physically with the circus."

"Could it be those two?" you inquired. "It's too soon to tell, I didn't sense any of the children but I can assure you there's something going on at that circus. Oh before it casually slips my mind, there's something I'd like to discuss with you two before bed tonight."

"Oh?"

~

"Absolutely not! I'm still not used to being a maid you want me to fake talent now???" He smirked down at your annoyed figure. "My dear acting is clearly something you're good at. Besides, I hardly call being an assassin talentless, you need a vast amount of talent and skill to get away with murder so many times and even better, to impress me."

"Always the charmer aren't you? Charismatic bastard." He drew you in for a kiss. "Quite," he murmured into your neck as he leaned on you and sighed. "Time to persuade the young lord."

"Yeahhh, tell me how that goes in the morning. NIGHT!!" you took off to your room as silent as a mouse running faster than you ever had, the steady breath of Agni and the young lord and the huffing of Prince Soma travelling through your nervous system, as if you could feel it. You weren't as fast as Sebastian who would seem to materialize out of nowhere at times, that's something you would have to ask him about, you never did finish that book on demons. You kicked off your shoes and removed your loose corset with ease. You were going to throw your travelling coat over the chair and call it a night but your breath hitched in your throat. Madame Reds' dress was still on the chair collecting dust from the night of Druitt's soiree. Oh, how you'd gotten over Grell and Madame Red that you had almost completely forgotten about them, and that odd man with the glasses and book. No matter it was time to sleep, you'd rather not stay up overthinking something that occurred months ago.