House of Preparation/House of Arguments

Fair warning to you all. This chapter will kick you in the feels. Hard.

~~~~~

"Since we have Amber," Nina began, "we should decide who else we're going to call."

"Alfie," Fabian said. "Maybe, Joy?"

"I say Alfie, and that's it," Patricia vouched. "Honestly, we don't need everybody."

"Alfie for certain," Eddie declared. "I kind of vote for Joy and Jerome."

"Kind of isn't a real vote," Patricia commented.

"All-in-all, who we call is really up to our Osirion and Chosen One, so Nina, do you agree with Eddie?" Fabian asked.

"Yeah," Nina replied. "Alfie, Joy, and Jerome-sounds great."

"Awesome," Eddie smiled. "Let's tell them near Amber's arrival."

~~~~~
Before Joy left work, she stopped by the infirmary to see Jerome. She gazed at through the glass door before entering. He was looking at his new phone screen. Joy was aware, since Jerome's phone was damaged in the assault, his phone data was restored onto a new phone. He received it today.

She pushed the door open and went to him. He looked over at her and put his phone down.

"Hi, Joy," he smiled.

"Hello," Joy responded. She decided she would at least try to show some emotion towards Jerome, hoping it would possibly make being around him somewhat easier.

"I see I'm at the agency now."

"Yeah."

Joy wanted to find a way to talk to Jerome about personal things. She obviously didn't want to do it in public, so she'd need a way to bring Jerome home with her.

"Hey, I'll be busy with a bunch of other thing during work, and I really wanted to get some more information from you, if I could. So, um, maybe, this weekend, I could stop by and take you to my place for a bit?" Joy said this really quickly and softly. It was a lie, but she hoped Jerome couldn't tell. Honestly, she didn't have much going on at work except for Jerome's case.

Jerome delayed his answer. Then he said, "Are you sure your boyfriend would be okay with you bringing a guy-an ex boyfriend-home with you?"

Joy forgot about the boyfriend lie she'd told him before. "Boyfriend?"

"Erik," Jerome told her as if she should know. Well, she should've.

Joy could feel herself turning red from her mistake.

"I don't see how you could really forget a boyfriend, unless...you were lying to me..."

Joy looked guilty and didn't say anything.

"You did lie to me, didn't you?" Jerome stared at Joy for a moment until his gaze softened. He realized Joy probably just lied out of compulsion. "Of course we can."

Joy looked back up at him with a shocked expression.

"Well, don't seem so surprised."

Joy didn't say anything. She just stood there, still with both a guilty and shocked expression.

"I'm not mad at you for lying."

"Thank you. Bye, Jerome."

~~~~~
That weekend, Joy picked up Jerome who had to walk with a cane. He had a limp, and Joy slowed down from her usual walking pace to stay beside him. Once they were in her car, Joy said:

"Honestly, you don't have to go back to the infirmary after this. I'll just take you to wherever you live afterwards."

Jerome nodded.