MudWings; Day 1

Nutria felt betrayed. 

After all the wars she'd fought for them, all the good times they'd had, all the wounds she'd gained to protect them — they didn't trust her? They thought. . .they thought she'd kill them? 

Shallow felt hurt. 

After all the days she'd spent scouting for them, all the sacrifices to keep them out of harm's way, all the preyless nights so others could eat — they thought she was a murderer? They thought. . .they thought she'd slice their throats with no remorse? 

"Everyone's voted," someone called, but neither of the accused heard them. 

Gone. They wanted them gone

Thoughts were half-formed, then tossed aside. 

I. . .I wanted to protect— they'll never know— who would do this to— I'm going to die, I'm going to die— please don't kick— I always protected you, I'd never—

Shallow almost whimpered, but forced herself to stay composed. She could do it. She could be strong. 

She wouldn't be exiled, right? 

. . .Right? 

Nutria was the same; thoughts in a turmoil, heart burning with an ache only her sibs' loyalty could fill, wings weighed down by the knowledge that they didn't trust her. That they didn't think she was worthy to be their sib. 

That she was more nonsib than anyone else. 

Mink, who'd been elected to say the votes,(and had been shaking as everyone whispered in her ear), shifted nervously as she watched her sisters. "One vote- one vote for-" Taking a deep breath, she whispered, "O- one vote for Shallow." 

The reeds crackled in the distance, but their sounds fell on deaf ears. 

Shallow swallowed a pained growl, digging her talons into the mud to stop herself from roaring, "What, am I not enough for you!? Am I— am I really that bad!?" 

Mink shied away from everyone's gaze, staring at her claws as she mumbled, "Uh, there's. . .there's four votes for Nutria." 

Nutria bit back a loud, guttural snarl of pain. 

"So no one here trusts me?" she roared. "No one— no one here thinks that I'm not a killer? Everyone thinks that I would just laugh at your struggles? That I delight in having your blood on my talons?" 

Frog walked up to her and took her talons in theirs. "No." They shrugged, then paused with a frown. "Well, no one really thinks you can be. . .um, you know. . .well, we— not really, no." 

"Fine." Nutria quivered as she spoke, retracting her claws from Frog's. "Fine. I don't. . .I can find another sib group to be a part of. I don't— I can live without you guys. I- I never cared anyway."  

Head down and ears drooping, Nutria shouldered aside the reeds and vanished into their depths. She walked away quietly

No one said anything. They all stared at Nutria's departure point, a multitude of emotions raining from their faces. 

"I'm back, I. . .sorry, I just— can I have my books?" 

Mossy hefted up the scroll satchel and gave it to her, a gentle smile on their face. "Stay strong," they whispered. Nutria nodded, yet her face stayed apathetic. 

Satchel tied in place, Nutria flew away, the tears streaking down her face only appearing once she was out of sight. 

That's one less dragon to murder, the Killer thought, a grin curving their lips and flashing their teeth. 

NUTRIA was exiled. She was the HUNTER. 

No more prey for you guys :C 

ACTIVITY

HINTS

DISCUSSION

RANDOMNESS