Chapter 1: The Arrival

THE ARRIVAL

     George flopped down on his bed in defeat, fluttering his heavy eyelids shut for a much needed rest. He had been editing a video for over six long, tiring hours, and it still wasn't done. Once the clock showed four in the morning, he had grudgingly decided it'd be best to finish the rest the next day.

A slight smile tugged on George's lips as he remembered Dream's over dramatized end to the video. He had died right when they were about to finish, and the long chain of apoplectic swears that had streamed out were extremely impressive. It was hard to believe that Dream didn't usually swear before he met George, but then again, he hadn't even been sixteen.

George and Dream's friendship had begun years before they had even started the channels they had now. They had met on their mutual friend BadBoyHalo's Minecraft server. Over the years they became virtually inseparable, calling mostly every day on TeamSpeak.

They had never met in person, which was a fact George dearly wished he could change. Dream was so overloaded nowadays, with over two million subscribers and three channels to film and edit videos for. There was no way he could fit a week in to go overseas to London just to visit George. He had pleaded with the other boy multiple times, but the answer was always the same: Dream really did want to, but was just much too busy.

He ran a hand through his hair and yawned, short brown strands sticking straight up at the back of his head. Exhausted, he slumped on his pillow and decided he would rest a bit, then put his computer things away in five minutes.

He was asleep in two.

********

Dream woke up bright and early the next morning to an alarm blaring in his ear. He shot up halfway, briefly disoriented. But after a moment of confusion while rubbing his eyes blearily, he remembered he had set it the last night on purpose.

He sat up the rest of the way immediately, heart pounding in his chest with wild abandon as he remembered what day it was. Rubbing the remaining sleep from his eyes, he slid out of bed and got dressed as fast as humanly possible. He ran a brush through his disheveled hair quickly and carelessly, leaving little matts of tangled bronze waves on the brush.

His footsteps thudded on the ground as he ran to his kitchen, and he sent a quick mental apology to the other tenants of his apartment. He rummaged around in his disorganized cabinets, sloppily poured himself cornflakes, spilling milk on the already messy table, and noisily slurped them down.

He had a fleeting moment of panic when he couldn't find his suitcase, but abruptly remembered he had put it in the car the night before, exhaling a sigh of relief. Circling around his apartment, he did a double check and a triple check to make sure he had absolutely everything he needed. Finally, when everything on his checklist was marked off, he pulled on his shoes and ran out the door. He was almost to the elevator when he crashed into his apartment neighbor, knocking her down in the process.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry, Amanda," he gasped immediately, extending a hand to help her up.

She rubbed her head, wincing, and let him pull her up. "Why are you in such a hurry, Clay?"

"Going... to catch a flight...", he panted, clutching his heart and slumping on the wall, attempting to catch his breath.

An amused smile slid across her features as she eyed his exhausted figure. "Have fun!"

"Thanks," he said, flashing her a brief smile, and pressed the elevator button. The heavy metal doors opened with a ding, and he waved goodbye. His chest was still slightly heaving up and down as it started its descent and he took deep breaths, wiping beads of sweat off his forehead.