Chapter 14: The New Life

THE NEW LIFE

Dream felt a sense of hopelessness wash over him as the door slammed in his face. For once in his life, he had no idea what to do.

He hadn't cheated on George. He had no idea why Amanda thought he did, or why she would say something like that. She couldn't have said it if she didn't think it happened... could she?

After a moment of deliberation, he decided to go talk to her, thinking maybe they would be able to sort it out together... and hopefully she could convince George that he hadn't cheated.

He distractedly pulled on his shoes and went to go knock on Amanda's door. After a few seconds she opened it, and her eyes widened immediately as she saw it was him. She made to close it, but he stuck his arm in.

"Why did you think I cheated on George?" he asked her bluntly.

"Please leave," she said, fearfully glancing back at something behind her.

He stayed stubbornly. "Why did you think I cheated on George?" She glanced behind her again, but gave no answer.

He pushed against the door, opening it further than the crack it was, and realized the thing she was looking at was George, who was resting on the couch, purposefully avoiding Dream's eyes and looking extremely ill.

"Amanda, please," he said desperately. "I can't.. I..". He fumbled with his words. "Tell me why you thought I cheated."

She glared at him in a very un-Amanda like fashion. "Because I saw it!" she hissed. "You were kissing this... this other girl, how could I not think you cheated?"

"What?" He stumbled slightly, taken aback. "I never... what are you talking about?" He looked at George hopelessly, who seemed to be fighting back tears and exhaustion. "George, I don't know what she's talking about... don't believe her, George!"

"I know what I saw," she snapped, but Dream saw her face fall into a look of guilt for a split second.

It wasn't much, but it was enough to convince him that she wasn't telling the truth. "Amanda, why... ?" He was starting to feel just as sick as George, with all of this. He despairingly turned his pleading gaze to George. "George, please, I didn't, I swear I didn't!"

"Good night," Amanda snapped, and, with a resounding thud, the door slammed in his face for the second time that night.

********

George woke up next morning in an unfamiliar place and blinked, confused and disoriented. He looked around blearily, and then he felt a stone drop into his stomach as he abruptly remembered what had happened.

Amanda was already up, her golden hair tied into a messy bun as she prepared something in the kitchen. The smell of eggs wafted into the air and he inhaled deeply, stomach grumbling. He realized that due to his illness, he hadn't eaten since the chicken soup Dream made him yesterday in the early afternoon.

Dream.

It hurt to think about him. He still couldn't believe what had happened. He screwed up his eyes as flashbacks of last night came rushing in; George yelling at him, Dream's look of hurt, tears streaming down his face as he knocked desperately at Amanda's door...

The lump in his throat felt prominent as Amanda placed shiny china plates on the table, which was adorned with a flowery tablecloth. Her gaze flickered over to him, and she smiled happily.

"Oh, you're up! Are you feeling better?"

George chose to believe she meant his illness. "Yeah, I'm hungry, which is a good sign." His gaze momentarily flickered over to the bacon and eggs.