Chapter 9: The Departure

THE DEPARTURE

George was at a loss for words. "You want me to move to Florida.. with you?"

Dream nervously scratched his head. "I mean, yeah."

"Dream, I -".

"No, it's fine," Dream interrupted hastily. "I know you probably can't, I get it. You have a life here, I know that. And we didn't plan it at all; it's terrifying to me too."

"I mean," explained George slowly, mind befuddled by Dream's proposition, "I want to move in with you. But... I have friends here, and all my life I've lived close to this city."

"No, it's cool, I get it," said Dream quickly. He looked down at his knees, awkwardly drumming his fingers on his green suitcase.

"Just... I'll think about it," said George. "I want to, but..". He paused. "I don't know."

"Okay." Dream abruptly got up and started lugging his suitcase to George's car, leaving the dazed boy alone to think, his mind racing a million miles a minute.

He wanted to, really, he did. There was nothing he wanted more, but at the same time he didn't want to leave Stourbridge, where he had lived all his life. It was a confusing situation, because he was being given exactly what he wanted on a shining silver platter, but he didn't know if he wanted to take it.

His parents lived in London, he thought suddenly.

There was a point. If he moved to Florida, they wouldn't be able to find him. He would be safe with his friend... boyfriend, he corrected himself, smiling slightly, in a place where he could start over, without the haunting, cold memories of years of abuse hanging over him everywhere he went. Wasn't that just what he wanted?

He made his decision after about ten minutes of debating, a storm of doubt and excitement whirling through his head.

"Dream?" he called.

"Yeah?" Dream's voice came from across the apartment. He heard thumping footsteps getting closer, and the door opened with a slight creak. Dream ran his hand through his bronze hair nervously. "Did you decide?"

"Yes." George hesitated.

"...And?"

George got up and took Dream's hands, grinning shakily. "I'm moving in with you, Dream."

Dream's lips curved upwards hesitantly. "Really?"

"Really," confirmed George.

All doubt flew away seeing Dream smile so radiantly, and he was sure he was mirroring the taller boy's ecstatic expression.

"Oh my god," whispered Dream, and he kissed him.

********

"Are you sure you have everything you want?"

George sighed as he repeated the same answer he had replied with the other thousand times Dream asked. "Yes."

"And you told the landlord you're moving out?"

"Yes, Dream."

"And you have your cat? Baby?"

"Yes, Dream."

"And you have Clay Block?"

George rolled his eyes. "Dream, I'm literally carrying him."

"Whatever," said Dream, reaching in the crate and fondly scratching the fluffy puppy's head, who squiggled with joy. "Do you have your plane ticket?"