Chapter Twenty-Seven: Eggman

---

POV: Infinite

"So glad you could finally make it" Eggman cackled as he lowered his egg mobile to the floor. "I was beginning to wonder where you ran off to, Infinite, and oh - who's this?" he grinned and turned to Gadget. "The rookie from that puny Resistance group?" he smirked.

I could hear Gadget growl from my side.

"I no longer participate in that group" Gadget spoke up. "However that doesn't mean I have fully changed."

Interesting...

Eggman stroked his long mustache, "Oh? That sort of explains why you have Infinites ruby in your chest" he turned to me, "That was meant for you! Not him!"

I rolled my eyes, "Oh please, doctor." I growled. "You have no idea what happened during the time you were building your empire."

"I know that much that physical transfer of that ruby was for a 'noble cause', because I know you, Infinite, you would never give up something that important without something else being more important than that" Eggman studied us closely.

"You don't know me." I grumbled. "Nor will you delve further into my private life!" I shouted. "I may not control the ruby anymore, but he does-" I gestured to Gadget. "-and he has the power now, whatever you say will not change what has happened or what will happen"

Eggman sat back in his mobile, "Well then, let's see what you can do, eh?" he taunted as robots came out of the walls suddenly and approached us.

Gadget and I faced the robots back-to-back, I pulled out my dagger and Gadget formed a red sword in his hand.

I grunted and attacked the robots that tried shooting beams at me, quickly ripping the heads off and cutting the circuits inside.

Gadget sliced the robots in half at his side, they never stood a chance against him. However, one did shoot and just graze his cheek with the beam, leaving a burn mark. Gadget yelped and held his cheek while taking care of that robot.

Eventually, the robots were destroyed and laying all over the room in piles of metal and wires. Sweat dripped down the back of my neck as I put my dagger away for the time being to catch my breath and regain myself, I kneeled to the ground to rest. Gadget was also exhausted, he used a lot of his power to defeat the robots, he also sat down to regain his breath.

"I'm surprised you had eachother's back during that" Eggman commented. "You two are closer than I previously thought..." he hummed.

"This...ends...now" I panted softly before standing up, my muscles ached and begged for me to rest but I ignored it.

Gadget was also up on his feet, his ruby was still pulsating and active.

The ruby looked slightly off though.

As if it looked...

...Drained...

Eggman's cackling brought me back to reality, I growled and pulled out my blade. "Okay, doctor. It's time to finish this, you've had your fun" I got into a pouncing stance and jumped onto his egg mobile.

"But now your time is up." I snarled and held the dagger to his neck.

"Wait-wait-wait!" Eggman pleaded. "I can help you! I can help both of you!"

I grunted, "Sorry doc, old habits and all that." I shrugged before slicing his neck and jumping off the egg mobile.

The mobile crashed into a wall and stopped working soon after.

I looked at Gadget, "You okay?" I walked up to him and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"I...guess..." Gadget replied, he seemed breathless suddenly as he spoke, like it took more effort to even speak.

I glanced down at the ruby, it was definitely dimming in brightness and it's pulsing slowed.

Suddenly, Gadget collapsed in my arms, he was out like a light. I gasped softly as he fainted, but I soon figured that it was the ruby that caused him to faint.

I remember it like yesterday. When I first had the ruby, it was incredibly draining to use continuously and took hours upon hours of work to fight that exhaustion and eventually surpass it.

It seems that Gadget didn't have the stability to control the ruby at the last minute and he collapsed from exhaustion.

At least he's alright.

He's safe.

I walked out of the building clutching Gadget in my arms and headed directly for our cave so he could recover, Sonic was no where to be found so I assumed he went to the Resistance base.

He's gonna be shocked when he sees what happened there.

At least the rest are out of the way.

He's the last one standing.

~~~

A/N : Coming up to the finale now everyone! Get yer asses ready for one hell of a ride!

Now to what I need to say; the finale of Rise will probably be delayed due to the fact that I am going on a staycation this week (Tuesday - Saturday) and I will not be able to deliver on the chapter until POSSIBLY two weeks time - it definitely won't be ready for release this week! So please be patient for the finale as it will have EVERYTHING in it - angst, violence, gore, fluff and of course lemons!

So, I will see y'all in the final chapter!