Chapter 7| A memoir of heartache

"You know, most of the nobles are expecting wedding invitations soon," Edmund pointed out as he stroked my arm

"You know, most of the nobles are expecting wedding invitations soon," Edmund pointed out as he stroked my arm. The cusions on the bed framed my face in comfort whilst the warmth of the morning sun soothed my back.

"Well, they'll just have to keep waiting." I smiled at him, "They probably find it strange that we don't want to marry yet."

He shrugged, his soft fingers still caressing my skin, "Well, what if I told you that I was starting to reconsider?"

"Reconsider?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Yes, reconsider."

I sat up and his fingers dropped from my arm. I leaned back against the headboard, "Well carry on then."

He chuckled at my forwardness, "I was thinking, what if we do marry. We've been together ever since we killed the witch six years ago, I think it would be appropriate. And the nobles would be satisfied, it means there are chances of an heir. The country would rejoice, it will possibly instill some pride in the soldiers. I just think that..." he continued to ramble, but my ears simply blocked the words. I loved how he was trying to convince me, as if I ever needed convincing to marry him, "... so, what do you think?"

I chuckled, "You know, in all of that rambling, I never heard you ask me."

His face contorted in confusion, "Ask you what?"

"To marry you."

It was silent for a few moments, before realisation crossed his face. He was quick in jumping up from the bed and pulling me along with him. He dragged me over to the dresser and then pulled open the top left drawer. He let go of my hand and started searching for something, but his back prevented me from seeing what it was. I strained to see over his shoulders, but alas he was now much taller than me. He seemed to have a moment of triumph, giving a happy shout before he shoved something in the pocket of his sleeping trousers.

He then grabbed my hand once again and pulled me out of the room, running at full speed to a place unknown. "Edmund, where in Narnia are we going?"

"You'll see!" He shouted over his shoulder and continued to pull me along, my night gown billowing out behind me.

The castle was still quiet, most of the staff not even awake yet. I smiled at the peace, wishing it would always be this quiet. The hustle and bustle of royalty was not something I particularly enjoyed, and I wasn't even royalty. We rushed down the stairs and into the training gardens where Oreius trained the two of us daily. Edmund seemed to get more excited and starting sprinting faster towards the edge of the gardens where we first kissed whilst we overlooked the sea.

We reached the small balcony and stopped in our tracks. We stood in silence as we caught our breath, soon the panting became the only sound around us. Then, after a moment of quiet, the sound of breaking waves and singing birds reached my ears. The wind blew my hair into a frenzy, but I closed my eyes and enjoyed the Narnian nature. It powered me slightly and gave the Silvanus a new found peace.