Chapter 11: The Beginning of the End

They had the worst of luck. The winds have left them, and the sails proved themselves to be useless. The men had been rowing for hours, but if felt as if it was getting them nowhere. She stood alongside Drinian and the two kings, attempting to avoid their gazes and be involved at the same time.

"The wind has left us," The Captain solemnly addressed.

Amelia questioned, "So how do we get to Ramandu's island now?"

The Captain stalked away towards the stairs as he replied, "My guess is that something doesn't want us to get there."'

Amelia was left alone with the two brooding kings, and her mind immediately was sent into an alarm. She took her first step away, but her arm was latched onto by none other than Edmund Pevensie.

"Amelia, can we talk? Please?"

Amelia sighed, not really having the emotional capacity considering her lack of proper sleep, "Not right now, Ed."

The king would not relent, "It'll only take a second. Please."

Amelia glanced to her right, noticing Caspian gazing upon them with a slightly less-sour expression than what she expected. Caspian took the hint and trod off below deck, most likely to find Lucy or Gale.

Amelia wrenched her arm from Edmund's grasp and folded them across her chest, "You have one minute."

The king wasted no time, and quickly blurted out, "I'm sorry, okay. For yesterday, everything about it. From the kiss, to the fight, all of it was just one big... mess!" He threw his hands into the air exasperatedly, "I don't know what came over me, it's like I wasn't myself at all."

Amelia frowned, "They were still your thoughts, Edmund. The evil only made you say them out loud."

"Alright, fine," the boy relented, "I have no excuse for the fight with Caspian. It was stupid and childish, and I'm sorry. I know the last thing anyone, especially you, need right now is for us two to be fighting. So we sorted it out yesterday, when we went to look for Eustace. We talked it out and, I just want you to know that we're okay and the fight is in the past now. I know how much it upset you."

Amelia could feel the walls around her heart break down little by little as she stared into his chocolate brown eyes, but she refused to let them fall completely, "And what about that kiss, Ed? It came out of nowhere! You know how hard this has been for me, and yet you forced that onto me like some kind of...claim," Her eyes widened as the realisation daunted upon her, "That's it, isn't it? That kiss was a claim on me! You were jealous of Caspian, for some reason, so you kissed me when I wasn't ready to prove that you had some sort of claim on me!"

Edmund tried to calm her down, "What! No! Okay... maybe I did. But can you blame me? You two were practically engulfed in each other the way you were sleeping in the hammock. I felt threatened!"

She rolled her eyes, "How inexplicably male of you, Edmund. To feel threatened over such a little thing when you know exactly how long and how deep I've loved you."

Edmund's hand went into his dark hair and he pulled on the roots as if he wanted to pull out his next words, "I know, I was being stupid, alright. I know that. It doesn't make any sense, even now when I think about it. Maybe it was the nightmares, or maybe it was the fact that this evil had been looming over all of us, but it made me crazy yesterday. I know that's no excuse, but I'm sorry. I really am." Edmund's eyes met hers in a moment of desperation, "Seeing you after I kissed you... seeing how you were completely broken down and scared... it made me realise what an idiot I was. I was worrying about my pride and I didn't take you and what you went through into consideration – even though I can't stop thinking about all you went through! It never leaves my head! But in that minute moment, I forgot entirely, and for that I am truly and deeply sorry."