Chapter 5| Councils and Kisses

"Liar!"

"Thief!"

"Murderer!"

"Kill him!"

I could hardly believe the violence that was radiated from my people towards Caspian. The night was dark; it was already filled with the terrors of Telmarine soldiers and Caspian's Uncle's manhunt, but the Narnians were only adding to the fear. I stood silently to one side whilst I watched with a frown etched on my face. Caspian stood alone in a circle of Narnians ranging from centaurs to minotaurs – I could only imagine what he was feeling. He thought all these creatures were extinct.

"All this horn proves is that they've stolen yet another thing from us!" Nikarrbrik shouted out.

Caspian denied, "I didn't steal anything."

"Liar!" A female voice cried out from the crowd.

"Didn't steal anything?" The minotaur general, "Shall we list the things the Telmarines have taken from us?"

"Our homes!"

"Our land!"

"Our freedom!"

"What about our villages?"

"Our lives!"

A chord seemed to snap within me as I experienced a side of the Narnians that I had never seen before. The anger was running so deep in their veins that they couldn't see the opportunity that lay in front of them. Caspian was the Prince – the key to peace. Could they not see that? Were they so blinded by rage?

I stood and walked to the center, next to Caspian. The crowd silenced as they saw me approaching. My gaze was hard, my face was fixed in a frown. Enough was enough. Anger was not the answer. I could feel the Silvanus slowly stir inside me – a feeling I had missed – and power my words, "You would dare hold him accountable for the crimes of his people?"

"Accountable," my favourite dwarf said, "And punishable."

"Ha," Reepicheep entered the arguement with his fellow mice behind him, "That is rich coming from you, dwarf. Or have you forgotten that it was your people who fought alongside the White Witch." I send my little friend a small wink in gratitude.

"And I would gladly do it again if it would rid us of these barbarians!"

"Then it is lucky that it is not in your power bring her back," Trufflehunter said, "Or are you suggesting we ask this boy to go against Aslan now? Or even Amelia?"

I saw my window of opportunity, "Some of you may have forgotten, but I, and the Silvanus inside me, remember well that Narnia was never right except when a son of Adam was king. 305 years without a king, and look where that has gotten us!"

I could feel Caspian growing anxious beside me. His breathing was fast, but quiet, and his hands shook lightly against my wrist. Without thinking, I grabbed his hand. I needed him to stay strong.

Nikarrbrik argued, "He's a Telmarine, why would we want him as our king?"

"Because I can help you," I looked at Caspian, shocked that he had spoken up. He gave my hand a light squeeze before letting go and walking forward to the Narnians, "Beyond these woods, I am a Prince. The Telmarine throne is rightfully mine, help me claim it – and I can bring peace between us."

I stood in silence for a few moments, just taking in the sudden admiration that overcame me. The Narnians looked at Caspian, most of them with considering gazes upon their faces. I was shocked, to say the least, at how he had managed to captivate them with only a few simple sentences. He had the spirit of a king, and the voice of one.