Chapter 14| For King and Country

"We need to get you out of here," Edmund murmered into my ear.

I shook my head, "There's no way."

"Amelia, you can barely stand!"

"I'm staying here, Ed."

Edmund gave me his typical worried look, "You'll get hurt. Please, let me get you somewhere safe."

My faced morphed into exasperation, "Where's safe, Ed?"

"Anywhere but here."

My eyes scanned the lanscape for something that could revive me, something that could give me strenth. Every little fact I knew about the Silvanus raced through my mind: nature, protector, magic, healer, spirit. Nothing helped.

"Amelia!"

I shushed him, "Give me a second. I'll think of something."

Think think think think think...

Pixies.

The pixies!

"Pixies," I answered, "Very few exist, and these are the only ones in the whole of Narnia. In truth, they are the essence of light. Without them, many things would not happen."

"Like what?" His eyes reflected the light around him.

"They take care of the nature," I explained, "They give energy and life to all the trees, bushes and flowers in Narnia. Their power travels through the ground and gives everything it touches life. They are the beating heart of the Narnians."

Give energy and life.

"Ed, I need you to take me to the treeline."

Edmund looked behind him at the tree line the surrounded the How. It wasn't too far, but the Telmarines were getting their catapults ready. They wouldn't have much time, "I suppose you have a plan?"

"I don't know if we can call it a plan, exactly, more like wishful thinking."

Edmund heaved my arm around his shoulder and quickly shuffled towards the trees. My legs wobbled with each step, but I forced them through the pain. Almost there. Almost there.

The ground shook with each boulder that struck the How. The catapults were firing mercilessly. TO my left, Edmund was muttering, "I, 2, 3..."

Probably part of the plan.

We soon made it to the cover of the trees, but Edmund seemed reluctant to leave. I pushed him once he set me down, "Go, Ed. I'll be there as soon as I can!"

Edmund looked up nervously, "One of the catapults might fire here."

I rolled my eyes, "I'll be fine, they're aiming for the How. Now go before Peter does something stupid!"

He still didn't leave. His arms gripped her shoulders as he crouched down in front of her, "Am I forgiven?"

I raised my brow, "Seriously, we're having this discussion now?"

He nodded with a goffy grin on his face, "You promised we would have it as soon as we both got back."

I vaguely remembered my promise back at the Telmarine Castle. I sputtered out my words, not believeing that he was actually staying for this, "Y-yes! Your forgiven. Now can you please get that arse of yours into battle!"

Edmund gave her the look of a naughty school boy, "First things first."

We he kissed me, it felt like a fire had ignited inside me – a fire that had died out a long time ago. It burned my skin and set my entire body aflame, but the pain was glorious. It gave me life. He gently put his hand on my waist and weaved his fingers through my hair. I smiled, recallling all the times we had kissed before. Never had it been like this. Never had it been so full of life. He rested his hand on my cheek before he pulled away, "Promise me you'll be alright."