Chapter 15

TW: Mention of death, self-hate, physical and verbal bullying, minor-not-really gore, mention of blood, self-harming, mention of self-harm, crying, mention of suicide (in the song), mention of nightmares (I don't know if that's a trigger... but its here anyways)

I shot up into a sitting position from my dream. I felt cold and clammy, a cold sweat poured down my back and neck. I pulled my blanket up from the end of the bed and wrapped it around myself in a futile attempt to stay warm. I steadied my shaky breathing and laid back on the bed cocooning myself in the blanket as I felt my shivering come to a stop. I'm fine.

What was the dream even about? I furrowed my eyebrows staring at the ceiling and tracing the edges with my eyes. Something.... What was it? I think it was some flashback, in dream form. Wait... It came back to my all to quickly. A normal patrol with Peter gone severely south with the ending being the death of the last two adults of our family. Then after, shoot. May said she never loved me... was that true? I mean, she seemed so sincere when she said it.

I sighed. She was probably right. I could have done all those things. But I'm a disappointment, a failure. That was when I heard a knock at my door. What would someone be doing checking on me at, I looked at the clock on my bedside table, 3:00am? "Uh, come in?" I called while moving to sit up in my bed again to greet either a friend or foe.

The person walked in, "Friday, turn the lights to 30 percent." Wait, that's Tony's voice. The room lit up and sure enough I saw Tony standing by the doorway. "Hey, Grace." I gave a small wave still confused as to why he was here at 3:00am at all times. Isn't that like, the ghost hour or something? I'm not sure. Unlike a lot of people I gave up with creepy stuff a while ago. I don't need more nightmare fuel.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, pure curiosity evident in my voice. Was he here to kill me? No! He's your parent or whatever now, Grace. If he were to kill you he'd do it in a secluded spot. No! He's not here to kill you at all! This is what I get for checking the clock and seeing that it was 3:00, probably 3:02, am.

"Friday alerted me that your heartbeat had risen quite a bit and that it appeared you were having a nightmare." He explained. Friday actually tells him those things? Oh. "I just wanted to check in and make sure that you were okay." Okay, no. Doing okay enough to probably fall back to sleep? Yes.

"Oh, I'm fine. As you said, it was a nightmare. I get them sometimes." Why did I say that? Now he's going to start worrying, maybe.

"Do you want to talk about it? I know that tends to help me after my nightmares." Tony walked in and sat at the end of my bed giving me a kind and gentle look. If it wasn't for the fact that I had barely known him for about... Uh... About a month and two weeks, then I would think he was actually my dad.

Though I don't particularly want to talk about how I watched my last two parental figures die in my own arms. Just personal preferences, ya know? "You get nightmares?" He definitely knows what I'm doing though I don't really care. Avoid the topic as much as possible.

In response to my question he gave me a look that clearly said he knew what I was doing and we would reroute back to it later. "Yeah, I do. A lot of them entail the Loki attack of 2012, but others include some of the more personal, less known experiences that have happened to me." I nodded. That makes sense. Nightmares can stem from almost anything whether it's something you saw on the internet or something you experienced in real life.

"Less known? You manage to keep things away from the press?" I joked as I went back to lying down on my bed. Hanging out with Tony is fun. I see why Peter does it so often. By now a smile had appeared on my face and I felt genuinely happy. Most, if not all, of my worries that had been formed by the nightmare had basically dissipated the minute Tony stepped into my room and started talking. It's nice to have a dad figure again.