Chapter 16

TW: Mention of self harm, self harm (not detailed), self-hate, stabbed, slight gore(?)

That Wednesday was extremely rough for many reasons. I woke up the next morning to the sun shining on my face through the overly large windows. I really have got to make sure I put the blinds up so I can sleep in. Though, I guess this is good for today since I have school. I looked over at my alarm and it went off. An odd coincidence if I do say so myself. I pulled the blankets off of me and wacked the snooze button. I slid off my bed and walked to the bathroom.

I walked over to the sink and turned on the faucet. I then proceeded to splash water on my face to help me wake up and, I saw my arm in my peripherals. The cuts from last night were gone and, my arm was slightly itchy. At least they were gone so I didn't need to have to hide my arm. I walked back into my room after I finished freshening up.

I slipped my books into my bag for the day as well as a sketchbook and my leather pouch. Everything was organized nicely so with that I exited my room and walked down the hallway to the elevator. I stepped inside and told FRIDAY to take me to the kitchen. I tapped my foot as the elevator brought me down a floor to where I wanted to go.

I walked in to see Pepper and Tony sitting at the table. I wanted to feel the mood in the room so I tapped into my wolf side and sensed, sadness and confidence from Tony, and, Pepper is to difficult to read at the moment. Well then, that's hopefully not to hard to deal with. I walked in and grabbed a piece of bread and popped it in the toaster. A few minutes later Peter came in and, I heard Tony clear his throat in order to grab our attention.

I grabbed my food and walked over to the table and sat down to start eating. His eyes were fixed on Peter and I. For a second he opened his mouth then closed it, as if he couldn't find a proper way to start the conversation we were about to have. The great Tony Stark struggling to make a quick conversation with some kids. Well, that's what I think it is at least. "So, guys. I'm going to have to go away for a week on Avengers business. I'm sorry that I have to go so soon after you two were adopted, but I can't exactly skip this. I will definitely be back in time for Thanksgiving though! That way we can have a nice big celebration! I will be leaving tomorrow morning." I noticed that his left hand was shaking a little bit. That could be a sign of... anxiety?

"Oh." How are you supposed to act when your legal guardian tells you they are going away for... one to two weeks. "I'll miss you. Have fun I guess?" I said, trying to hint a little sadness at him leaving in my voice even though I really didn't feel that all that much. Peter had given him a hug as he said some goodbye so I followed his lead giving him an awkward hug. I'm not a big person for physical affection. Actually, I'm not one for physical affection at all.

He was leaving to get away from me. It was quite obvious with how his hug to Peter seemed so much more genuine. Unless I'm overthinking this, but I don't think that's the case.

"Anyways, you two need to run off to school. Happy is waiting for you two downstairs." I went over to the sink and put my now empty plate inside of it. I quickly cleaned it off and walked off to the elevator with Peter at my side.

I tapped my foot on the ground again as the elevator quickly carried us down to the ground floor. I looked to the floor in order to avoid eye contact with Peter as I sunk into my thoughts and basically entered my mind to avoid the real world. "Grace, you good?" I snapped my head up giving Peter the best fake smile I could manage at the moment.

"Ya, Pete. I'm fine." I yawned, "and apparently tired too!" I forced out a little chuckle at that. He gave a quick laugh with me and the elevator door opened. We walked out to the door and slipped into Happy's car. Off to school... I suppose. Though honestly, I would have preferred to just stay home the whole day.