Chapter Twelve: Part Two

I went out to the backdoor and saw her sitting beside the air conditioner. She was crying and smoking a cigarette. I didn't know she smoked.

" Mom? What's wrong?" I couldn't help but feel responsible. "It's nothing Justin. I didn't want Kayla see me smoke. I needed a little stress relief." That wasn't explaining why she was crying.  "Explain the tears though mom." I couldn't stand seeing her cry. She wiped her eyes. "Your father called and we had an argument. He can't pick up Kayla until next week. Don't get me wrong I love having her here, he just needs to be responsible. It's the main reason why we split up. He never made time for you, or me." She started tearing up.

I hated seeing her like this. I wiped away her tears and hugged her. "Don't worry mom. She's better off here. He's crazy for leaving, we have a happy family without him." She smiled and hugged me tight. "Never stop chasing your dreams Justin. You're a talented boy. Kayla really looks up to you and she wants to be just like you. You're her role model." Those words hit me deep. I knew Kayla was happy here. Thats why I wanted her to stay." Hey mom, Jay, Aunt Gracie, and I were going to celebrate, do you and Kayla want to come?" I really wanted them to. "Not tonight sweetheart, but you enjoy yourself, and stay out of trouble." She kissed my cheek. "I'll see you later."