1: Fearing Love, Trusting Love

Sumedh

A new day has begun, meaning, a whole other day of political discussions, public welfare, and the safety of Sondhara. However, I was always kept away from sharing my opinions, only listening to the discussions of the advisory and following the exact orders of the Rani. 

I was quickly walking down the hallways of the palace when a voice from behind made me stop.

"Mama! Mama! Mama! (Uncle)" she shouted, running up to me. I turned around to see her holding up a painting. Looking closely, I realized it was of me and her...smiling.

"Look what I made Mama!"

Seeing her excited and proud face, I wanted to smile, praise, and congratulate. Wanted to take her in my arms and spin her around. Wanted to take her down to the royal garden and walk through the flowers. Her innocence and love for me was something I was surprised by everytime.

My heart melted and I reached my hand forward to pat her back, when another voice stopped me dead in my action. "Don't you dare touch her Sumedh! You know the consequences. Her father is dead. If you show her the same affection, there is no guarantee she will be alive tomorrow."

I snatched my hand back, my heart throbbing. I stepped back, putting distance between us. Bhabhisa quickly walked over and pulled her daughter away from me. I turned to leave, but not before hearing, "Sondhari, how many times do I have to tell you to stay away from him!? Go to your palace room - RIGHT NOW!"

I could feel my anger rising. How could I have let my guard down?! I scrunched my hands into fists, trying to maintain my composure. Calm down. Just leave. I quickened my pace and started walking. Walking away from Bhabhisa. Walking away from Sondhari. Walking away from my family. Walking away from the taunts. Walking away from the lifeless eyes. And walking away...because of my misfortune.

Looking around I found myself on the terrace. I could feel that I was panting. When that walking turned into full speed running, I myself never realized. I took deep breaths, trying to calm down, but to no use. I saw everything flashing in front of my eyes. Blinking several times, I tried to clear my mind. I could hear the insults. I could see the people of Sondhara staying a far distance from me.

Covering my ears, closing my eyes, I just stood there lifeless and still. Another attack. Third time this week. I need to control myself. I HAVE to.

"Sumedh..."

I turned around to see Bhabhisa return - alone this time. "Sumedh...don't forget you're only staying in this palace because I promised your older brother to not send you out. That doesn't mean you cross your limits. Sondhari is fond of you only because she grew up without a father, that doesn't mean you leave her life at risk."

I remained silent but my mind had many other thoughts I could scream. Why does everyone believe in that stupid misfortune of mine?! What if all those deaths are just coincidental?! I have still not recovered from those losses and yet it is all my FAULT now?! What justice is this?!

"Perhaps taking charge of the kingdom will keep you busy from growing affection towards others. But you always give the same excuse every time: I'm not ready to become a Raja yet."

That night when I sat down to write, I answered the reason for my excuse. 

Oh Kismat,

The truth is: I've been ready since a long time to take the throne of Sondhara. But one thing has halted my confidence: if I grow too affectionate towards my kingdom...will people hate me? Will they fear me? Will they believe they will die as well?

_______________________________________________

Mallika

"Bhaiya!" I called out, making him turn around.

"Arey Mallika! Wait there, I'm coming." Suryaveer answered in reply. I watched as he made his way through the crowd of people. Another riot had broken out so I decided to help Bhaiya serve the people and offer aid for the damage. The love of the people, their happiness, is what makes us delighted. Their disappointment crushes us. 

"Malllika, listen to me. There is one lady over there who has injured her head. She needs your help."

I quickly made my way over and the crowd around the woman automatically made way for me. I sat down next to her and started my work.

"There is no need to worry. It's not that big of a wound, Ma."

I placed my hand over her forehead, while comforting the panicked woman. Immediately, the contact of my hand to her skin created a glow. As soon as I took my hand back, her forehead was better than ever. The crowd stared in awe at the magic that happened in front of them.

I'm grateful for this boon given to me. I've used it for the welfare of my people to keep all their struggle away. Obviously, there are restrictions for this: I can't use it on myself or use it to stop death.

As praises erupted from people around me, I shyly made my way back to my brother who was in a conversation with his royal advisor. But I stopped at a distance when I heard their conversation.

"It's the best option we have right now, Suryaveer. You would've been the Maharaj if the throne wasn't cursed! You have to make a decision! We have no proper rule! This kingdom is slowly falling apart! Please try to understand - Mallika is a special Rajkumari with this healing boon. Most kingdoms will gain interest--"

"I'm NOT setting a swayamvar for my behen just for the sake of an alliance to help our kingdom!! She is not a piece of land that I will arrange an auction for! Mallika is my sister!"

"Then what other option do we have?! Kingdoms are not even offering us help because they don't have trust that we will give something in return. And really - what can we give in return? Everyone knows about Suryani's miserable situation!"

"Our kingdom, Suryani, may be small but we are not helpless. There is one option...but it's highly risky. My mind erupts into hesitation everytime I think about it. You know the Rajkumar of Sondhara?..."

"Sondhara?! One of the richest and most powerful kingdoms?!" the advisor gaped.

"Yes yes that one. I know that Rajkumar...we were childhood friends since we were trained by the same guru. The problem is...I don't have the confidence to go up to him. Especially because of his rumoured misfortune..." my brother trailed off.

I shouldn't be listening to this conversation, no matter how much I want to. This is not something Bhaiya would want me to hear. I turned around to walk away when, suddenly, the advisor spoke something that stopped me right on my tracks.

"Hmm yes. Now that you say it like that, I'm fearing a bit too. Rajkumar Sumedh of Sondhara is quite an odd one. I believe we should eliminate that option. We can't afford another disorder upon the one we already have."

Rajkumar Sumedh...Sumedh... That name echoed in my head for what felt like eternity. The sound of each and every letter and syllable spun an unknown sensation in myself. Something I couldn't quite figure out. Why does this name sound so...mysterious?

Hmm first glimpse of Sumedh's misfortune...anyone have any guesses about it??? And on the other hand...something seems to be happening to Mallika at the first mention of Sumedh 🤭😏

And just a quick question...how many of y'all would want a brother like Suryaveer? 😂💖

Do comment, vote, share, and follow!

Part 2 coming tomorrow!