Once in a dream

Authors note:

Hey long time no write, but I am back with an awesome collab with @TheFartingRabbit, they'll be posting this exclusively on their ao3(which is under the same username) and I am posting the whole story exclusively here. I wrote as Eddy's part and my very dear friend quite beautifully wrote as Brett. So go support them on their account and read their stuff. Without further adieu please enjoy this story.

_______

The night was stale, filled only with the palpable stress of upcoming midterms. Almost all the uni students were pulling all nighters to prepare for their possible juries.

Eddy Chen was no exception to this. A sigh escaped his lips as he looked at the sheet music he had prepared for his repertoire.

"This is so nerve wrecking." He murmured and erased another note - he had once heard it was easier to recall things if it was written out several times. In his case, it wasn't working, as he was still messing the notes up even after writing them out.

Feeling his stomach growl, he shoved some cheap lukewarm instant ramen into his mouth. Eddy grimaced at the taste of soggy noodles. It was gross, but a student had to eat, and doing it while he reviewed the pieces was the best time.

Once he shoveled it all in with his stainless steel chopsticks, he stabbed them back into the remaining limp pile of noodles; traditionally this was disrespectful, as it was a sign for death, but that was how Eddy felt - like death warmed over, to be more specific.

The night was long, longer than Eddy suspected. It was taking a toll on him when he heard a sudden knock; Ray was at the door as usual.

"Hey bro, do you want some real food? Or are you happy with your bland, disgusting noodles?"

He opened the door a crack, a bright look in his eyes, heavily contrasting against a stressed Eddy.

"Come on, dude, you need real food for once. I ordered some take-out. Pizza!"

Ray shoved the door open and presented him with a delicious-smelling pepperoni pizza.

Eddy tore his eyes away from his work, despite the way the perfectionist inside him said this isn't enough, don't let the foolish man distract you with his temptation - but Eddy did not heed this warning. The scent of pizza was way too alluring. He sniffed the air questioningly to see if he could tell the quality, but of course he couldn't. He'd have to have a taste to know if it was as tantalizing as it smelled.

Ray laughed when Eddy rose from his chair and trotted with him into the living room. Of course Ray didn't get just one pizza; there were two pizzas on the table. No silverware as per usual; they were boys in a student dorm, so of course they didn't use utensils.

Ray flopped down on the floor and took a slice. He moaned when it's greasy, cheesy flavour exploded in his mouth. Hungrily, he chomped down.

"Come on, bud, or I will end up eating everything!" With his greasy hands, he grabbed the small cola he bought as well and waited for Eddy to finally join him on the floor.

"Don't stress so much. You are smart. You worked and studied hard. You will ace the exam."

"I'm not scared about the exam or even my composition; I'm scared of the jury. You know, the thing where you have to play and the people stare at you all judgemental. What if my repertoire isn't good enough, or my bow skids..." Eddy groaned, running a hand through his messy hair–his fingers occasionally got stuck in tangles–he needed to brush it to at least look mildly presentable. It didn't take him long to follow Ray's example and collapse to the floor.