Rebuilding is the hardest part

Two days.

It had been two fucking days. Ray had never seen Eddy in this state. He seemed to be heartbroken. Ray didn't know what happened - Eddy sure as heck didn't talk about it - but he was 100% sure it was the demon's fault. It had to be.

In his hand was a flyer from one of the parties the students were throwing right now. Tomorrow, they would get their grades, and everybody was ecstatic. Well, all but one.

Ray knocked on Eddy's door, but he knew he would not get a response. It was a miracle when the boy came out and went on the toilet or grabbed something to eat.

So after the second knock without any response from Eddy, Ray just opened the door, marching straight to the bed.

Eddy laid cocooned in the middle of his bed - the tears may have stopped, but the broken reflection said it all. The poor boy probably had no more strength to cry. Tonight, that would change!

"Come on, buddy, time to get out of the room. We are going to a party tonight, and either you will go willingly, or I will throw you over my shoulder and drag you there. Get up!"

Eddy pulled his blanket over his head to hide from his roommate - he just wanted to mope in his loneliness! It seemed that Ray would actually have to drag him out of bed to get him anywhere.

"If you don't want to talk, I don't care, but God help me if I let you rot away here. Get up!"

Ray tugged on the blanket, once, twice, until he had enough and ripped it off Eddy.

"Get up! Stand up! Shower! We are going in 30 minutes!"

Eddy didn't even have enough energy to glare - at least Ray was giving him the opportunity to not look like shit before dragging him out of there. With no will to put up a fight, he got out of bed to obey; this was going to suck. He didn't particularly like people, and he hated parties, but if there was alcohol it might make it worth it. He was typically a happy drunk when Ray and him would sneak drinks into their dorm for a little celebration. A little happy is something he needed, although he didn't like getting tipsy or even drunk in public settings.

Silently, he got his shower stuff to head over to the communal showers.

Ray was not stupid; to make sure Eddy was really doing what he asked him to do, he followed him. The depressing aura, the low hanging head, and the downcast eyes were not a pretty sight, but he bet it was a hundred times harder to live through it.

They got to the showers and Ray deliberately chose one in the farthest corner for Eddy, dragging him by the arm. He occupied the one right next to him. It was probably hard for him to see the name on his body. As Ray took a look, the ink seemed slightly faded. Even if he had buried himself in research, he had no idea what this meant. Was Brett breaking the contract? But he couldn't, right?

Eddy lightly traced the name with his fingers, staring at the ink in dismay, "I wish I could just scorch it off my body or that it would just go away but instead I am stuck with something that holds no value."

He finally spoke for the first time in those two days. His eyes were sorrowful, shameful - yet still held unkempt anger behind them. Perhaps it was towards himself or at the demon, but he'd never say, nor would he let someone see. Vulnerability was a weakness, which in turn meant showing his true feelings was one too. His soft touches to the letters became harsh as he drove his nails into his skin, ignoring the sharp spike of pain. He'd grown used to it after trying to get the name off during the entirety of the time he spent in his room.

Ray shook his head, not really believing that this was his soft spoken friend who now spoke of self-mutilation.

"Don't say something like that. Please," He washed himself, throwing Eddy a couple of glances in between.