十七

━━ ♡ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"Kenma, you look extra gloomy today."

The boy slowly straightens his back as he watched the carob-coloured male take a seat right beside him. He threw his backpack beside his desk in the process.

"Actually... this is probably the most ashen I've seen you." He restated, his eyes widening slightly. He leaned closer, inspecting Kenma's features. "What happened? Feeling like quitting the club? Lost in a game? Didn't get your apple pie fix?" He chuckled as he ran through his hair before slipping on a simple hairband to keep his long bangs out of the way.

"Nothing like that..." Kenma slumped his back into the table, laying his head into it, facing the other way. He sighed loudly, his mind still in a quagmire.

"Eh? Really? Hmm... then it could only mean one thing." His seatmate sighed loudly before chuckling,
"Did you fall in love?"

Kenma's heart skipped a beat as he unhurriedly turned his head, glancing at his tanned seatmate. "W-what makes you say that?" He tried to answer calmly but his mouth betrayed him.

"I mean... that's like the only things you would ponder over. So if it's not those then it's obviously something new to you." He shrugged his shoulder as if he didn't see right through the pudding-haired boy. Kenma kept quiet, now slowly raising his head.

"So... tell me. Who is it? Is she from our class? Or perhaps a senior? Oh! Maybe, it's from another school!" His excitement undulating Kenma like a tidal wave.

"I d-don't like anyone!" Kenma argued, looking away.

'Do I?'

"Eh really? I swore I saw you blush just a few moments ago." He grinned, leaning close to Kenma once again.

"Y-yes!" He instinctively answered, leaning away.

"Hmm, if you say so then. Anyways, how's volleyball going on?" He changed the subject. Kenma was silent for a few seconds before he answered.

"Oh... W-well nothing much. Coach said there's a big announcement he's going to tell later today."

"I see. Well, the badminton club has been training like crazy. We have two more weeks until the Tokyo representative playoffs. Since Nationals is not getting held here, only one team can go. My team is getting nervous as the days pass by." He sighed, thinking if he could handle any more of the Coach's ever-increasing duress.

Kenma instantly straightens his back as soon as he heard the word badminton came out from his mouth. He has totally forgotten that his seatmate of almost five months was a member of the badminton club. Mahiro Ikumo who has a sharp eye instantly rose an eyebrow in response.

"Do you think your team has a chance of making it?" Kenma asked. He didn't know much of the school's badminton club other than what was told by Fushimi Reito the other day back in the cafeteria.

"With our current line-up... anything is possible." He grinned, his eyes glinting in mischievousness before he let out a sigh.

"But it depends!" He rose his voice, his tone slightly whiny. "Do you know the other powerhouses in Tokyo?!"

"One that scares the shit out of me is Fukuroudani. The players in that team are all monsters." He shuddered, not even wanting to be near them. Mahiro Ikumo who expected Kenma to somewhat be vigilant only remained staid. Mahiro decided to continue, "Not to mention Itachiyama. God, I could feel my heart racing thinking about fighting them."

"I heard they're number one in the city."

Ikumo scoffed as he tersely answered, "Of course! They aren't number one for nothing! Their team captain looks cool and calm but in his head he's thinking of ways to destroy you, ripping you bare bit by bit. He's the definition of the calm before the storm."