Into the Wolf's Den (Livona)

Sorry it took so long guys, I'm sick and my winter college classes just started so updating will be kind of sparse. You guys rock for bearing with me still.

Picture of Monica - - - - - - - >

We were about an hour into the ride before I realized Riley was asleep behind me, his breathing skimming my neck. Occasionally, he'd grip me tighter in his sleep, but I tried to stay still despite the strengthening shocks in my abdomen. I told myself I was only staying still to be polite, but really, the situation was simply comforting. I felt safe and that scared me. Carefully turning my head from where it leaned against Riley's, I took notice of everyone else. Reed and Leah held hands silently in the front, peacefully basking in the thought that they were simply together. They didn't say a lot, but I'd noticed it in the little things. Reed would smile when she met his eyes and Leah would lean into him whenever he was near. Glancing down at Riley, I brushed back his hair, letting my palm press to his sculpted jaw. I wondered if he'd grown up wishing for something like his parents obviosuly shared. Instead he seemed stuck with me. Most people would wonder why he was trying so hard to make us work, to make me stay with him, but I knew. He loved his people. Beside us, Malcolm and Tammi conversed quietly, gravitating towards each other, and smiling uncontrollably. Malcolm kissed Tammi passionately and Tammi stroked his cheek lovingly. He pulled away and grinned again before dropping a hand to her stomach, rubbing it slowly. Tammi beamed and leaned so he could reach easier, resting a hand in his scruffy hair. They were part of the reason, Riley was doing this. Riley wanted their family and all the other families he vowed to protect as Alpha, to live peacefully and without fear. I respected him for that, but I was sure there was another way we could do that for our people without giving up a main source of happiness. Surely he woud realize that we weren't going to replace what we were forsaking. His blood ran through mine now. A headache made itself comfortable in my brain and I immediately turned my attention elsewhere. Next to me, I saw Lissette asleep soundly, but where she'd fallen asleep had surprised me. Her head was against Connor's shoulder, cheek on his arm. Some time she had also flipped her arm over his waist, following the curve of his seatbelt as she snored faintly. My eyes drifted up to Connor's face and peered down at her with soft eyes. Most people wouldn't blink twice when he wrapped an arm behind her shoulders, studying her silently. After all, they looked like a couple. Shifting subtly, I waited for Riley to readjust with my new position as his temple rested against my jaw. His own jaw rested scarcely on my shoulder and I smiled sweetly for a moment. Riley looked so young and carefress that I couldn't help it. That made me wonder how old he actually was. The thought hadn't occured to me until now. Shaking the thoughts from my mind, I turned my attention back to Connor, whom still cradled Lissette loosely. Softly, I called out to him.

        "You hurt her and you'll wish you had a werewolf chasing you down." Connor's eyes flickered to me in surprise and then settled on his brother holding me. Smiling solemnly, Connor replied quietly.

        "I'll make you a deal. Don't hurt my brother and I won't hurt Lissette." Our conversation was quiet enough that nobody could overhear us. Still my heart beat a little faster as I glanced down at Riley again. How on Earth could I hurt him? We were merely duties to each other.

        "How would I hurt your brother?" Connor smirked, knowing mischief in his eyes. He leaned his head against Lissette's, but still glanced between Riley and me.

        "He's never cared much for girls beyond being friends with them before," He paused to roll his eyes, "wanted to remain pure for his mate or something. Yet here he is, holding you and watching your every move." Now I couldn't help, but roll my own eyes. Riley watched me because he didn't trust Vampires. That much I knew, without him telling me.