Chapter Thirty: One Thing Left To Lose

Warning: In this chapter there is some steamy content that may bother those who don't like scenes in showers. If you are someone who finds such content offensive, I'm not sorry. You'll just have to skip over the shower part. This may also offend people who are particular fond of kitchen appliances and french fries. May you rest in peace, my deep oil fryer.

As for the reason for including the content in a PG-13 book? Hey, it'd fly in a movie theater.

----------------------------------

I couldn’t believe that I’d accidentally agreed to be Adrian’s girlfriend. No way! I’d forgotten about that stupid contract I’d signed ages ago. Eric had talked me into signing it after I’d proven to be particularly unruly when I was younger.

As much as I wanted to protest it, I knew my uncle would go to drastic measures to make sure I’d fulfill my end of the bargain, and since I had said, ‘probably’ and not ‘no’, I was definitely screwed. There was no doubt in my mind that if I tried to get out of doing something to that end, I’d be in huge trouble.

Breaking my word was the only thing my uncle ever got angry at me for; not being lazy, or refusing to try, or pulling some crazy scheme over him or lying. No, it was making a promise and then failing to see it through that drove him insane.

I really hoped that I didn’t have to pretend to be all lovey-dovey with my new ‘boyfriend’. Ugh. Still standing in Adrian’s arms, a particularly unpleasant smell wafted into my nostrils. Another reason to not like the new arrangement; he smelled really bad!

“Ack!” I sneezed, punching him in the gut to get him to step away from me. “Geez you smell awful! When was the last time you took a shower?!” I demanded, pinching my nostrils shut to try and block out the smell. He smelled like burnt onions and month-old moldy cheese. Why hadn’t I noticed it earlier!?

Adrian, doubled over from the blow I’d dealt, shrugged while clutching his stomach. “Sunday, I believe.” He told me, wincing as he eventually recovered, rubbing his stomach.

Mine hurt too, but it was worth seeing him fall over. I glared at him. “Go take a shower!” I said, shoving him toward the entryway stairs. “You stink something awful!” Boyfriend or not, I wasn’t going anywhere with him if he stunk this bad.

“Fine, fine!” He held up his hands in defeat. “Go take a nap or something, I’ll bug you when I’m done.”

Yay! Nap time. “Don’t forget to scrub.” I muttered, heading to my room.

He snorted. “I know how to take a shower Kathryne.”

I didn’t bother to reply, knowing that he’d just say something snarky in return. Once inside my bedroom, I grabbed a book from one of my shelves and sat down to read.

Only to be interrupted by very loud screaming not five minutes later.

“WHY ARE MY BEDSHEETS SO FREAKING CRUSTY?” Adrian’s voice came barreling through the walls, conveying utter disgust, dismay, and shock.

Damon’s cackling could be heard from downstairs, quieter in comparison to his brother, but still obnoxious. “It’s not like we were sleeping in Kathryne’s room, brother!” He called, laughing maniacally.

Oh dear God. He didn’t have to tease him about it.

A moment later my bedroom door slammed open, revealing a very pissed off looking shirtless Adrian. I blushed, immediately looking away from him. I didn’t want to see his very tempting muscular abs!

“Kathryne, since my brother was so kind as to taint my room with his despicable presence…”

I was going to take a wild guess and say that Damon had probably done way more than just sleep in Adrian’s bed.