Chapter 9

The car drive home was anything, but fun. The principal decided it was best to send both boys home for the day so they can think about their actions. I personally think he just wanted us all out of his office.

"Enzo, do you understand me?" Leonardo asks aloud again as he drives back home.

"Yes daddy." Enzo says meekly.

"Don't just believe everything you hear? If you have any questions about this family you ask me or your mama. Okay?" Leonardo instructs.

"Okay papa... Are you and mama getting a divorce?" Enzo suddenly asks causing me to turn in my seat to look into his eyes as he sits secured in the back seat. How does he even know what that means? His growing too fast.

"Why would you ask that?" I ask him and notice tears in his eyes.

I face forward feeling a lump in my throat.

"No." Leonardo says firmly.

"I thought mama left us and went to her new family everyone keeps talking about, but then she came back and then papa left. Then everyone at school said mama was sold from a store or something."

"What?" Leonardo asks turning to look at me, he only then notices the tears running down my face. "People talk too much shit sometimes you know?"

"I told them I have a brother, and then I thought, was he also bought?" Enzo continues, causing me to chuckle a bit at his thoughts.

"Don't be ridiculous. His from your mama's past." Leonardo says nonchalantly.

"Is he also adopted?" Enzo asks, and somehow I knew his questions wouldn't end when Leonardo gave him the floor to ask all his questions he was so curious about.

When we reach the house Leonardo instructs Enzo to go in the house and clean up for lunch.

A sniffle a bit and blow my nose with the tissue I got from my handbag.

"Are you okay?" Leonardo asks me.

"This is my fault." I say feeling guilty for Enzo's behavior.

"It's not your fault." Leonardo shakes his head slightly looking over at me in the passenger seat.

I turn in my seat to face Leonardo with tears in my eyes. "He thinks I left him." I cry out. "And then you were gone for days without letting me know where you were I had no answers for him when he asked me, and I know it's on me. I didn't want you around me. I want a divorce. I keep pushing for it."

"I won't give it to you." He states casually.

"But still, my actions are appalling. I acted out of haste and I wasn't thinking of them when I ran and threw you out the way I did, and jumping to conclusions.. I handled it badly." I sob and Leonardo pulls me in for a hug.

"This is not on you. This is my fault. I did this. You might have maybe overreacted." He smiles and I slap his arm playfully causing him to chuckle. He looks down at me staring into my eyes before wiping my tears with his thumb. "Do you still want to be with me?" Leonardo asks with so much hope in his eyes.

"I don't know what to do. All I wanted was for the lying to end. I can't live in a marriage based on lies and secrets anymore." I admit.

He nods his head slowly. "Speaking of secrets." He says slowly.

"Oh God, what now?" I ask rolling my eyes sitting back in my seat.

"I went back to South Africa, to see your family." He says holding his breath.

"What? Why?"

"To tell them the truth." He shrugs as if it's obvious.

"What? You told them. Everything?" I can't believe he did that.. Sacrificed his family to clear my name.