Chapter 24

~Chad pov~

"Fock you voicemail!" Lauren yells from the bedroom like a mad woman. I presume she saw his texts and his not answering her calls.

Zac left for school, unwillingly.

Lauren made sure he had pancakes for breakfast and packed in a not so healthy lunch with a greasy steak patty on toast and added fried wedges.

As soon as I flipped my egg over in the pan, she came bursting out the room pulling the edges of a beige lace covered dress over her knee she bought for her colleagues wedding a few years ago.

I nearly scoffed at her exasperated state. "Where you going?" I ask noticing the worried look on her face.

Huffing before anything else as she makes her way to the breakfast counter. "Nowhere."

"Well, you look like you going on a date again."

"Listen. I needed clothes, okay? And this was the only thing that could fit. Seems my ass has grown three sizes bigger!"

Her outburst left me speechless. Raising my hands up, stepping away from the counter to give her breathing space. "Okay." Was all I muttered before we left for grocery shopping.

She apparently had to start baking to take her mind off her problems. Interesting.

Three evenings later. After a few drinks at a get together at Liams, while starting a small fire to put some meat on the grill. Conversation in a group with Liam, DJ and Emma and some family members of theirs, the laughs around me grow quiet in a distance when I spot Lauren swaying to the melody of the sound.

So in a element, haven't seen this side of her singing to herself eyes closed with brutal fruit cyder in hand.

Lately I've seen many new sides to her. Maybe she is different and everyone are hoping she hasn't changed.

I walk over to her, as if feeling my presence she flutters her eyes open collecting herself, embarrassment evident on her now red cheeks.

"Can I tell you how we met?" I ask softly and carefully. She hasn't been in a great mood these last four days, she was even now pissed at me for Leonardo ignoring her calls. I called her childish yesterday, and she threw yet another fit at me.

Taking a seat at a small dining table she moves a strand of hair slightly out of her face. "Sure." She shrugs.

And somehow that little act of shrugging annoyed me a bit. Like she didn't care how we actually met. She looked at me with a blank stare, and then her brows rose up as if to say she's waiting. The look in her eyes are so different to the way she usd to look at me. This time it's as though she doesn't care. About me, about hearing our story, about remembering.

She gave off this vibe that no matter what I said it wouldn't change anything. But I thought what the heck. Just go for it.

"So, I didn't know you were Liams sister when we actually met."

No response. Just a deadpan stare. Her brown eyes show no emotion as she looks briefly down to my tee shirt then back up to my face. Her stoic stare was something I was getting used to.

"You were walking in the rain from school and I offered to share my umbrella with you. You declined at first, but with the rain pouring down." She seems slightly intrigued. "You gave in. I walked you all the way to your house, having the best conversation. We joked about you going to the matric dance with me." I chuckled at this, which she frowned at. "I was a year ahead of you, and the next day I remember you walking up to me with so much fire as I stood with Sarah on my arm, a girlfriend at the time. And you slapped me hard across the face saying I'm a two timing idiot." Lauren seemed more confused. "You actually wanted to go to the matric dance with me."