Chapter 8

This asshole is supposed to be in bed. Imagine my surprise to wake up and discover Leonardo gone - left a message with Anny. How convenient he had to rush into the city for a work crisis.

The receiving end to his phone starts ringing in my ear as I try to pull the zipper up from my lower back in this woolen black dress. I grab my heels and a coat knowing it was raining right before I jumped in a shower.

"Ciao." He says lazily.

"Where the hell are you?" I ask him running barefoot out to the driveway where Sonny waits for me.

"Infront of the school, mi a more." He tries to calm me down by amusing me in a sultry tone. "Where you told me to wait for you. Do I get a reward for this?"

I can hear the teasing humor in his voice.

"No. This is all your fault you know."

"Im sure he had good reason to punch a kid if he did." Leonardo says almost proud.

"We don't know why they called us in. See you soon." I say ending the call.

"Mr and Mrs Demarco." Enzo's teacher greets us with a broad smile as we walk up the steps of the school. I'm surprised to see her in casual clothing rather then her usual formal attire. "Sorry, I was off for the week, but they felt it was best for me to be here for the sit down."

"Sit down?" I ask curiously. "What happened exactly?" I ask.

She looks between myself and Leonardo. "I wasn't here so I can't speak out of turn, but I know his a good kid. One of the best in my class. So I'm not sure what triggered him to do that." My browse crease thinking about the news lately and how my husband was arrested under false accusations of kidnapping his wife. "Sometimes people thrive on gossip, we don't know what the truth is." She says with empathy as if reading my thoughts.

I offer a small smile and look over to a confused looking Leonardo as if his putting the puzzle together while the teacher leads the way.

"This way." She guides us to a room stating principal office on the door.

Behind the door you can hear murmured voices and yelling until the door opens and the teacher holds it open for us to enter.

"Mr and Mrs Demarco." The principal stands from behind his desk who clearly looks like he gained himself a headache from a woman with blonde hair glaring at myself and Leonardo. "Please come in." He says and I notice a police officer standing in the corner.

"Where's my son. Is he okay?" Leonardo asks.

"Oh, his great!" The blonde woman shouts our way as we take a seat in a couch on the opposite side of the room.

Leonardo holds my hand, probably noticing my stunned reaction to her outburst as her husband tells her to calm down.

"Okay, someone start talking." Leonardo says running out of patience.

"Your son!-" The blonde yells again.

"Mrs Payne." The principal warns and turns to us. "It seems Enzo has been out of character these past few days. Is everything fine at home?"

Leonardo turns to me with a confused look and I stare back at him mouth agape.

"We don't mean to pry." The principal says. "But his behavior has changed drastically over the past few days and it's become a bigger concern as the days went by. We just didn't want to call you in sooner because of..." The principal trails off probably not wanting to bring up the headlines.

"We get it. What did he do?" Leonardo says gruffly and straight to the point.

"He hit my son!" The blonde yells.