Chapter 26

"Wow, that is a great accomplishment." I congratulate Zac on the star he received in his 'homework book'

"Thanks." He beamed taking off his spectacles and placing it in it's blue casing to put safely away before taking a shower.

"So, any ideas on your birthday plans?"

He giggles. "I already got my wish from last year, so I don't need another birthday wish this year." His squeaky little voice I think is what got me almost tearing up.

I stopped chopping the onions immediately when realization dawned on me. He was wishing for me to come back..

"Hey, why don't you get in that shower?" Chad interrupts, noticing my fallen features.

"Thanks." I mutter to Chad as soon as Zac leaves us to own devices.

I've been staying at Chad's place since my injury. Didn't want my family getting a whiff of my wounding, and the murder which transpired in this house.

"Anytime." Chad says while mopping up crumbs.

My eyes trailed up and dowm his arms, his muscles flex with each movement. Admiring his tattooed art on his one arm. I only thought of this now...

"Y-your tattoos, did you like have it redone? It looks different to when I-" I stopped myself from telling him I had visions of us. Of our son running into his arms, of our intimate moments.

He looked at his arms smiling. "I only got these ones." He gestures to his lower forearms. "I think a year ago."

My blood ran cold. "You never had a portrait of a woman?" I dropped the knife on the island stepping closer to him. "A crown?" I panicked. "-a skull."

"-Hey. Calm down."

"What about your back? Do you-"

"One-"

"One?!" I yelled in disbelief.

What the fock. I can't breathe.

"You're as white as a sheet." He stepped closer to me. "You okay?"

All I could think about was knowing I had another missing piece in my puzzle to complete.

"Lauren?"

"D-did. I mean was I." I cleared my throat. "How much sexual partners have I had?"

Chad chuckled at this. "That's a random ques-"

"Just answer it!"

Holding up his hands in surrender motion. "Was only me."

"Only you?" I asked meekly.

His brows bunched together taking a step back. "You seem disappointed." The sadness in his eyes.

"No. No, I'm just curious."

The ringtone of my phone is what saved me from this awkward conversation.

"I have to take this." I say seeing Vera calling.

Chad had a look of confusion on his face before I turned my back to him walking to the bedroom I've been sleeping in. Alone.

"Hi." I answer the call.

"Hey, catch you at a bad time?" Vera asks.

"Uhm. No. Saved me actually." I chuckle.

"Really? From the dick in the box? Doubt it very much." She playfully scoffs.

I roll my eyes as if she could see me through the phone. "We're friends." I remind her.