Chapter 4: Tryouts

Tuesday.
The very fact that it was only my second day of school made me want to lose hope. I almost was late for class because the bus arrived late but I wasn't the last one to arrive to class. Seems like we know who was late, huh? "Boun. This is only the second day of school and yet you are already late," the teacher firmly told him. He completely ignored her and yawned as he plopped down to his seat, burying his head yet again in his backpack. I wonder what he does at home. I constantly glanced at the clock during class, praying for the time to past quickly for lunch break.

Ring

I instinctively stood up but was pulled back down by Boun. "Buy me some food." He shoo-ed me away before I could reply. I sighed and walked to Earth and Fluke, who both were looking at me all worried. I exchanged phone numbers with both of them the previous day and ranted all about Boun to them. They were both really encouraging to me about this and told me that I could pull it through. They are really a couple of angels, I don't deserve them at all.

Throughout the day I had to do orders like doing his homework or getting things for him, making full use of me. I was honestly not a patient person and he really tested it today. I just wanted to worry about the Swimming Club tryouts later after school. I can finally breathe away from him. I was more proactive in class as I wanted to relieve my mind from it.
...

"Goodluck Prem!" Fluke cheered to me as he, Earth and I parted ways after exiting the classroom. I waved at them as I made a bee line to the Swimming Complex. It was big. Bigger that I expected. Everyone was craddled in their own groups while I was the only one alone. I felt someone tap my shoulder and turned around. "You must be new. Im Bosston." We both talked for awhile and instantly became friends. I stood in a line with the other first years and waited for 'captain' of the Swimming Club to come. Hey, isn't that the buff guy from yesterday? Oh and Kao too... Wait. Boun? The three were like the bermuda triangle. I scoffed in disbelief as Boun walked up to us. He has a good body though- focus Prem.

"I'm the club's captain, Ohm. The vice-captains beside me is Kao and Boun. Don't be afraid to ask us questions. However, we will only be able to allow ten out of the twenty-five of you guys into the team, so we will be having a race. The top two out of each of the five rounds are in." I felt beads of sweat trickle down my forehead. Its been a while since I swam. My eyes met with Boun and was surprised to see me here. Ohm led the first five people to race and I sat down at the bench, kicking my legs. I watched intensely as the first group of people competed. Time passed in a flash and it was soon my turn. I stood on the springboard as I felt my heart almost jumped out of my chest. I saw Boun smirking at me with his hands in his jacket. I'll show him.

Go!

I started swimming as fast as I could. I felt my adrenaline rush through my veins. As I made my last lap, I extended my arm and touched the end of the pool. I stood up and was relieved that I completed in first place. I glanced over to look at Boun but he was no where to be found. Why would I care though? I got out of the pool and went to dry up.