CH. 22

WAYLON

WAYLON

"C'mon Tati, you know I'm working right now. I don't really care what we eat tonight, as long as it's ready before I get home." I was hiding in the back of the house while the ceremony was going on inside. Tati knew better than to call me while I was at work, especially just to ask if I wanted steak or chicken for dinner.

I end the call and then make my way back inside. The bride and groom were getting ready to say 'I do' and I had to capture this moment for them. I had to treat every client like they were important, it was how I got them to book me again and tell their friends about me. I go back to flicking again but then my phone begins to vibrate in my pocket again. Tati was so hard headed and spoiled sometimes but I had to keep business and personal separate. I just allow the phone to keep vibrating, even when she called again, while I continued to do my job. I was able to remain focus for the rest of the ceremony and even when it ended, I was able to get some good flicks of the wedding party in front of the venue.

The reception was located at a different location and once the bride and groom finally took off, I got in my car to take off too. I wanted to get there before they did so I could get some pictures of their arrival. I finally take my phone out to check on Tati before she blew my phone up again but when I see the actual contact on my phone, I put my car back in park. I haven't heard not a single word from Lana since I kissed her goodbye that afternoon and I tried to get in contact with her a lot. Dwain and I had even hired our own private investigators to find her so we could at least know she was okay, but that ended up being a waste of time and money. We finally gave up and I made the decision to move on and forget about her but now here she was, calling me out of no where a little over a year later. I was spooked.

Should I call her back or not? I just started to accept that Tatiana wasn't going anywhere. She said she would change and she definitely did. There was no longer an open relationship between us and she even made herself useful by helping me set up and schedule appointments with future clients. We started to become a team again and though she still annoyed me sometimes, I was satisfied with what we had. Calling Lana back would look like betrayal in Tati's eyes. But what if it was an emergency, after all, you only call a person twice in a row when there's really something important to say. I kept going back and forth with myself until someone honks their horn at me and I remember that I was backing out of my parking spot before I put the car in park again.

I decide to just throw my phone in the passenger seat and then continue to my destination. I know if she calls again then it's important or she'll leave a text. Go forward, forget the past. I tell myself the whole ride to the wedding reception. Before leaving out the car, I check my phone again and there's no missed calls or text from anyone, so I slide the phone into my pocket and continue to do my job. Around eight pm, when the reception had finally started to whine down, I let my clients know I was leaving and they thank me. I carry all of my camera equipment to the car and just as I was putting the last piece of it in, my phone vibrates again. I pray that it's Tati again because wondering what Lana wanted was making it hard to focus. When I seen Dwain's name pop up instead, I was so relieved.