Chapter 3

Tussockflame had never felt so proud. Not only had he found a cat that knew what he was doing to follow. But he had stood up to that proud, green-eyed fool of a cat that dared call himself a leader. 

Dreamstar was a joke, and one he could easily laugh at. And now it was even funnier. 

The sandy tom had no clan left to lead, the true warriors had left with Sootstar. He only had his brothers now, making a clan of one leader, one deputy, and one warrior. They would surely fall and submit to them.

That was part of Sootstar's plan. Take the warriors that knew what they needed, and leave the rest to realize their mistake and come crawling to them. 

Of course the other two leaders would have to become warriors again, this clan only had and needed one. And Sootstar was clearly the best out of them. And best yet, he knew the deputies would also have to step down. Because he was Sootstar's choice. 

The brown tom had said it himself. Once the other cats realized their mistakes and joined them he would travel to the sacred pool, receive his nine lives, and appoint him as deputy.

"Who knows," he had joked. "May one day you'll be called Tommystar." 

True he had been a kittypet, but he had liked the name Tommy, and resented having it completely stripped away from him during his warrior ceremony. Had he not already been treading on thin ice from passing on an assessment he'd begged for he would have complained. It would have been nice to show Dreamchaser's idiotic mother that his name was something to be proud of. 

Now he was Tussockflame, and Tommy. And while he was with these cats, he could be addressed by both. Well, anyone except Shallowpool, who was his clingy-but-useful best friend.

The calico tom with the scarred muzzle and missing ear followed him now, as they marked the borders of their land. 

It was only temporary, once they were all one clan they would claim all of the hills. But for now Sootstar had chosen an exceptional area. Two of the smaller hills and a section of the forest in the gulley for them to use for the time being. It was perfect, and it was theirs.