Chapter 12

Dreamstar crept through the undergrowth, his warriors at his heels. The camp wasn't far according to Saptail.

It was five days after the gathering and the war plans had been formed. Today was the first part. 

The sandy tom with the scar on his neck surveyed the dens. 

"Tear them apart," he ordered. "All of them."

 Claws flexing they ripped through the fern walls, scattering the weaving of twigs and tearing apart the moss beds. Saptail took a particular delight in destroying Foxtail's den, taking the time to snap every branch he'd used to fortify the walls. 

"Dreamstar! Dreamstar!"

Badpaw rushed over from the rock pile, three mice swinging by their tails in his mouth, and dropped them at his feet. 

"Those rocks are filled with prey and herbs!"

"Really? Good job Badpaw," he praised. "Let's have a look at it then."

Reching into the clefts he clawed out stashes of prey and dried herbs. Perfect. 

"Saptail, Truthseeker! You hungry?"

Choosing the largest and best pieces of prey to eat, his two brothers and Badpaw wolfed them down and glanced at the rest. 

"What about all of this?" Saptail asked. 

As a reply he snatched up a mouse in his claws and tossed it in the air. 

"Catch!" 

It bopped Saptail on the head, who let out a mrrow of amusement and snatched a bird to throw at Badpaw. A shrew smacked Dreamstar in the nose and he clawed it apart.

Old blood soon spattered the ground as they tore prey apart, scattering the remains over the camp and trampling it into the dirt. 

"Bundle up the herbs," he ordered Badpaw. "We'll take them with us."

The apprentice nodded and piled up the leafy stems, picking up the largest jaw full himself. Truthseeker and Saptail gathered up the rest. It was time to go. 

As they neared the entrance Dreamstar suddenly dropped his bundle of herbs and leapt forward. 

There was a yowl of shock as Rattooth was pinned beneath him, his prey forgotten next to him. 

"Back from hunting early I see," he hissed, digging in his claws and making the tom wince. "Listen Rattooth. We have a message for your pathetic clan, and your going to relay it for us." 

He drew his clanmates close to him and they loomed over Rattooth with their hostile gazes, causing more fear to spark in his eyes. 

We are at war, and we have no mercy. We have destroyed your dens and ruined your supplies. That is your final warning. We have no mercy! No mercy for you! Do you understand? We will take back the land that is rightfully ours if you do not surrender! I want to see you all at the edge of your so called border at dawn on the day of the next half moon or you are dead!"

He slashed his claws across Rattooth's nose and raced out of camp with his warriors.

By the next half moon these toms would be gone from there land by choice, or they would be left to scatter after their leader was dead beneath his claws.