Chapter 20

"Sootstar," Tussockflame's voice came out in a whisper as StrongClan marched to the clearing. "What happens if I lose? What if I put us at the mercy of Evilslayer?"

"Tussockflame this was your condition," he sighed. "I told you your passion and the fire in your heart, it's brilliant for the war, but it's not good in these situations. You've really gotten yourself in a mess."

They could see RainClan waiting up ahead, and SunClan too. Waiting for them, for Tussockflame. 

"Do I fight with honor Sootstar?" his young deputy asked. "Or do I go for his eyes and hope to get him while he's blind?"

"Tommy I want you to do whatever your heart tells you you should do," he answered. "Be the warrior you believe you are."

The yellow tom looked at his paws, at the claws he would have to use. His choice unspoken. 

"Tommy, glad to see you have arrived," Dreamstar called, marching forward until he stood nose to nose with Tussockflame. "Let me remind you now. If you win, you and your friends get to stay as StrongClan and keep the territory for yourselves, but we still have access to it to gather herbd and bedding. Hunting rights however, are your clans alone."

"I will count to ten," Sootstar said, scrambling up onto the leaders rock to have a good view of the battle about to take place. "When I say the word 'fight' you shall begin. Whoever yields first shall lose. Do you both understand?"

The two toms nodded. 

"One."

"Two."

Tussockflame flexed his claws. 

"Three."

"Four."

He looked Dreamstar dead in the eyes then away. 

"Five."

"Six."

He flicked his tail nervously.

"Seven."

"Eight."

He bunched his muscles and looked up at his opponents face.

"Nine."

"Ten. Fight!"

 Tussockflame sprang up, claws out, and slashed at Dreamstar's ears, making the leader duck. His ears, not his eyes. Tussockflame was fighting with honor. 

Dreamstar responded to the swipe with a snarl and tackled the yellow tom, sinking his teeth into the fur on the back of his neck. Tussockflame shrieked and in a panic, pulled loose, ripping off some of his yellow fur. 

His opponent didn't let up and attacked again, this time grabbing his shoulders in his claws and throwing him down. Tussockflame battered at Dreamstar's belly and Sootstar saw blood drip from the RainClan leaders body. But the blows were in vain. 

With a growl Dreamstar buried his teeth in Tussockflame's throat and held him there. Blood bubbled from the yellow tom's throat. Only a small amount, thankfully, but Sootstar knew that if the sandy tom wanted to, he could end the StrongClan warrior's life.

"Yield," came his muffled snarl. 

"Never!" Tussockflame spat back, but he didn't move for fear of his death coming in the heartbeats that could follow. 

"Yield," Dreamstar repeated, biting down slightly harder, prompting a small shriek from his opponent. 

"I. . .I-I," Tussockflame stammered. "I yield. I yield." 

Dreamstar removed his teeth from Tussockflame's throat and allowed the tom to stand.

RainClan and SunClan yowled approval as the sandy tom looked up at him. 

"It is done," he said. "This dispute has been settled. Now Tussockflame, I am expecting you to hold your end of the deal. Tomorrow you will return the land to us and you will all come to our camp and accept the punishment chosen by Evilslayer to make up for causing the death of his family."

"No Dreamstar, no listen. Can we discuss this please? Can we talk in private for a minute?" Tussockflame begged. 

The RainClan leader flicked his ears dismissively.

"Very well," he agreed. "RainClan, return to camp."

"SunClan, we're leaving," Gracestar declared, leading her cats away.

"Sootstar, take the others back to camp," Tussockflame said. "Wait for me."

Without waiting for a reply from his leader he padded away, side by side with Dreamstar to discuss StrongClan's fate. Giving Sootstar no choice but to follow out his request.