Chapter 15

After the betrayal of Rattooth, StrongClan spent four days tending to their injuries, daring to hunt only close to camp. 

They were all devastated and shocked by how quickly everything had turned. Their enemies now had the advantage. And Sootstar was sure they would use it. 

A rustling in the ferns at the entrance drew his attention. With confident strides the apprentice that had helped fight them padded into camp, unafraid of the hissing enemies that surrounded him.

"What are you doing here Badpaw?" he demanded.

"My name is Evilslayer now," the tortoiseshell spoke. "And I am here on behalf of Dreamstar, he requests that our Clan meet at the border now."

"Very well," he answered, his voice dangerously low. "Take us there Evilslayer." 

Evilslayer led them in formation at a quick trot to the border, slipping away from them to join his clanmates on the other side. 

Sootstar hoped they looked stronger to the other Clan, even with the freshly healing scars. RainClan looked almost unscathed aside from the usual scars they'd had before the war. He noticed with dismay that the wound he had given Dreamstar had not been deep or fatal at all, just bloody. It wouldn't even leave a scar by the looks of it. 

And they had been joined by another cat. Goldclaw of SunClan. It looked like they'd brought him to boost numbers.

"What's this now?" exclaimed Tussockflame. "You've brought over a SunClan tom to help you? And you given this kit his warrior name already?"

"Goldclaw is merely here to help us in the war, once this is over he will be returning home," Dreamstar answered. "As for Evilslayer, he has more than earned. He shows far greater skill and strength than you ever will Tussockflame. After all, you begged for your assessment and barely passed. I don't think you have any right to scorn us."

Sootstar heard his deputy snort, but he stayed silent afterwards. 

"Dreamstar, I wish to meet with you privately," he requested. "Send your warriors away and I will do the same with mine."

"Very well," the sandy tom agreed. "You guys can go hunt, I'm sure your all hungry."

His cats nodded and padded into the undergrowth, avoiding the border and the area inside of it. 

"You too," he said to his own warriors. "Hunt and return to camp. I will join you once this is over."

He watched his toms obediently leave before turning to face Dreamstar. 

"Now then. Let us talk."