Chapter 18

Sootstar looked around at his shaking warriors. Tussockflame was a mess of scratches, Foxtail had claw marks running down his belly and he could taste blood in his mouth when he licked his chest fur. There were wounds hidden beneath his fur. Shallowpool lay on the ground whimpering, his left eye now missing along with his left ear. 

"What are we going to do?" Tussockflame breathed. 

"Sootstar, this is where we need you to pull out the sly last move," Foxtail told him. "What do we do?"

"There is no sly last move Foxtail," he sighed. "We have such a lower advantage now that we just need to accept that we cannot win this anymore. We need to surrender just to save any more bloodshed and destruction. They've destroyed our homes and they will do it again. I'd be a bad leader if I didn't look out for your safety. I will meet with Dreamstar and in exchange for the land we will resume places back in our old clans."

He felt a sharp pang of guilt at the crestfallen looks on their faces. He'd let them down, and for the last time too. 

"Tommy," he said, addressing his deputy with the kittypet name he was so proud of. "I want you to come with me to meet with Dreamstar and discuss the conditions of surrendering."

Solemly, the yellow tom nodded. 

"And I want you to make sure that you don't run your mouth," he warned. "No challenging Dreamstar on his honor. None of that okay?"

"Okay," he agreed.  

"We will return soon, and prepare ourselves for departure. I am sorry I could not lead you to victory in this war."