Chapter 21

Shallowpool looked at his comrades through his one good eye. They all looked utterly defeated as they paced the camp, tails and heads drooping. He was the only one sitting, but his claws were working deeper and deeper into the dirt. The sun would be rising soon and they would have to submit themselves to Evilslayer for punishment. StarClan knows what the young tom was capable of.

"Sootbreeze!"

Shallowpool looked over to the camp entrance. RainClan had arrived. And so had Tussockflame.

"Dreamstar, the sun has not yet risen," Sootstar said. "Why have you come? It is not time for us to leave. Why is my deputy with you? Why is he covered in dirt?"

"There is no need for that now," Dreamstar answered, then gestured for Tussockflame to speak. 

"Sootstar, I've secured our territory," the dirt coated tom announced. "We get to stay as StrongClan."

"You what?"

Sootstar sounded as astonished as Shallowpool felt. What did he mean?

"How?" he asked his friend. 

"What did you do?" demanded Sootstar. "How did you get it?"

"I atoned," Tussockflame replied. "And RainClan have accepted our atonement. Down by the hill that burned in the fire there are now graves. For those who needed to have a proper burial ceremony."

"You. . . You buried Evilslayer's family?" 

"Not exactly," the young RainClan warrior purred, coming to stand next to Tussockflame. "Their bodies would have burned away in the fire. But he put in the effort to make three graves for them, even if there is nothing inside and preform the farewells. Now that I know they're safe and waiting for me in StarClan, I'm not angry anymore. The gesture has rid me of my thirst for revenge."

"As of now StrongClan owns this territory. RainClan and SunClan are still able to enter in order to collect bedding and herbs. But only you are allowed to hunt here," Dreamstar declared. "Congratulations Sootstar, I hope you're ready to receive your nine lives. We will all be there to see it."

"Yeah!" Tussockflame yowled. "Sootstar! Sootstar! Sootstar!"

"Sootstar!" Shallowpool chanted along. "Sootstar! Sootstar!"

The rest of StrongClan, having now gotten over the initial shock, joined in. Shallowpool felt pride swell within him, they were back. StrongClan was ready to face life on the hills as a true clan, like Sootstar had planned.