Chapter 17

David's POV

"But what if I can't bond with the baby?" Violet weeped. I pulled her towards me on the sofa. It tore me apart hearing her speak so negatively.

"Of course you will my darling" I rubbed soothing circles on the bare skin of her shoulder, "trust me, it will kick in naturally, it might not seem like it now" I kissed the top of her head.

"You think so?" she sounded uncertain.

"I know so" I kissed her again, "come on, I have surprise treat for you before the appointment" I beamed, having a little trick up my sleeve. Violet has been feeling a little low recently and physically exhausted so I thought I'd try and treat her. So, I booked us a snazzy brunch at a fancy restaurant in Soho with a beautiful view. Despite her persistence, I didn't give in to her constant asking of where we were going. It finally clicked when we pulled up outside the building.

"David?! You didn't have to do this" she exclaimed as we entered the lift up to the restaurant.

"Oh I know, but I thought you could do with a pleasant little surprise" I responded, looping my arms through hers and taking some of the pressure.

"You are a gem" she beamed back, taking a glance at me.

"you're worth it and its the least I could do for you" I wagged my brows at her comically. I knew she wasn't feeling so stressed as she laughed at my behaviour and flashed that genuine warm smile. We entered the restaurant and the waiter proceeded to take us to our VIP table beside the huge, panoramic window.

"This is beautiful David" she grinned, sitting close to me in the private booth. I took her hand in mine.

"Not as beautiful as you" I leant over to kiss her cheek, "or our little girl" I chirped. The waiter returned with menus and to bring us water. Our attention soon diverted to the menus. "What do you fancy my love?"

"Hmm it all sounds so good... I'll have a lemon and ginger tea to drink" she thought aloud, scrutinising the menu.

"Hmm" I responded, understanding that she would prefer coffee but she has to limit her caffeine intake and I didn't want to put my foot in it. "I'm going to have the eggs Benedict I think"

"I'll have the smashed avocado on toast" she declared confidently. Right on cue the waiter returned to take our order. Then we sat, taking in the view and enjoying each others company.

"Just think, in a matter of months we'll have our happy little family" I announced, thinking fondly of our daughter joining us and Violet and I getting hitched.

"Its so daunting..." Violet gulped. She clearly had complex feelings about our near future and was perhaps a bit more apprehensive than I.

"My darling, it will be ok you know" I took her hands in mine and rubbed them soothingly, "I'm with you every step, yeah" I locked my eyes with hers.

"...So much could go wrong" she sighed, glancing down.

"Baby I know it seems overwhelming and scary but think about what could go right and just how great it can be" I smiled encouragingly at her, willing her eyes to reconnect with mine.

"Can we choose a name for her?" she asked timidly, "it would be nice to refer to her using her name" those eyes flicked back up to mine.

"Of course" I smiled, relieved that she was moving to a more positive topic. "Any ideas?"

"Well I started making a little list" she informed as she dove into her little handbag in search of it, "here, just some ideas" she handed me a little piece of paper with numerous names on it.

"Olive, Millie, Paisley, Honey, Astrid, Lula, Dotty, Scarlett" I read aloud, testing each one out.

"Any you particularly like?" she questioned as I thought them through.

"Millie...Honey...Astrid...Scarlett" I repeated, watching Violet's face light up with amusement, "which ones your favourite?"

"Any of those but I think I like Honey and Scarlett the most" she admitted, "I'd like her to take my mums name as a middle name" she took the list from my hand and laid it on the table before taking my hand in hers.

"I like Scarlett, it matches the colour theme with your name" I explained, "but Honey is sweet and adorable as hell"

"Scarlett Lynn Jones... Honey Lynn Jones" she tested.

"Scarlet Lynn" we both repeated simultaneously before bursting into laughter and nodding.

"yes! That works!" I declared, hugging Violet into me out of relief and joy.

"I love it" she wept into me but this time her tears were those of happiness.

"Its perfect" I beamed with pride. "She's going to be perfect".

Luckily our food soon arrived, forcing us to come back down to reality and calm down slightly. I was just glad to see Violet looking a little more relaxed and happy. We tucked into our lovely fresh brunch and chatted lightly about baby things or wedding things, just as the past 6 months had been. Now things seemed much more real and much closer.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

After we filled our stomachs and drank enough tea and coffee, it was time to head to the clinic for a check up scan. I held Violet shaky hand the entire time. Listening to the doctor and trying to understand him as best as I could.

"Ok, Violet, I see you are on medication for an iron deficiency" the doctor queried.

"Erm yeah" Violet answered unsurely, seeing her talk to the doctor made me realise how young she is and unsure of some things.

"Ok, how is that? Sometimes we need to be a bit careful at this point in the pregnancy....Its nothing to worry about, we just need to make sure you've got it under control" the doctor informed. I could see the fear behind her eyes so I squeezed her hand to reassure her. "we just need to take some blood, see how your blood count is" To say how nervous Violet was, I think at that point, I was more on edge than she was. I don't know whether squeezing her hand was reassuring for her or for me at that point. She handled it all so well and I beamed with pride and relief when the doctor had successfully taken the sample required without a hint of panic. "Ok Violet, so this will go over to the labs and I shall give you a call in couple days when the results are back" the doctor announced. The doctor then carried out a few other tests and measurements before he suddenly flashed a smile and announced that was all. "All being well, I will be seeing you with a little one next time" he smiled fondly as we thanked him and departed. Relived expressions on our faces, we sauntered down the hallway and out of the clinic.

"Now time to go home and relax properly" I draped my arm over her shoulder and walked with her, thankfully everything was going according to plan and that my girl was doing well and that our little girl was growing strong and heathy.

A/N: my knowledge of pregnancy and doctors is very limited so I did my best to be accurate but also rather brief. Hope you're all enjoying this story so far Xx