Chapter 18 ~ Old Rivals

CRINGE TITLE CRINGE TITLE BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEH

IT WAS SETTLED, THEY WERE GOING AGAINST AOBA JOHSAI.

Akiko's "secret jump serve" weapon would be nothing against them, if Oikawa remembered to tell them. 

Then again, this was Oikawa, he's set on winning. Of course he'd told them.

If she learned jump floats on her own and jump serves with Oikawa, she could fool them like that, but of course she can't learn jump floats in that short amount of time. She was still human, a fast learner sure, but still human.

The whole team was tense as they warmed up, leading to some failed spikes and stiff movements.

Last time, they weren't crushed, rather, they were even. It would feel better to go against them once more if they were crushed, maybe to say 'It's inevitable' or 'We've improved a lot more!'. But last time, they were evenly matched in skill, and Seijoh they were calm and collected.

Karasuno was getting uneasy at the end of that Seijoh match, which led to mistakes and eventually, defeat.

There was the possibility that Seijoh improved a lot more, and there was also the possibility that both teams improved at the same rate.

If anything, Akiko hoped they didn't go even again.

Then if she was put in in the second set, she would feel like she was put in truly because the other member was tired, rather than like she was put in to break the score.

It was a terrible thing to hope for.

Out of her peripheral view, Akiko saw something yellow and black like a bee. Curious, as it's definitely not something you see open, she looked over.

There stood an intimidating player on Seijoh's side, whom she hadn't seen before.

Well, his stance and pissed off look were intimidating, but that hair... It really pulled down the 'intimidation levels' by a bit. 

Why would you ask for two thin stripes on the back of your head at the barber shop?

It's a little weird.

Second warm up passed by in a breeze, the captains shaked hands and the teams were in their spots. The coin flip decided Seijoh was to serve first.

As per usual, Seijoh had Oikawa serve first. He was their best server, and it certainly hurt to receive those serves.

Thankfully, Daichi was able to receive it, bless that dad, but the ball looked like it was going to go over to Seijoh's side. Kindaichi and Hinata moved to spike it over, but Kindaichi got to it first.

Kageyama received it, so the toss was up to Nishinoya.

As the libero jumped, Seijoh was surprised. Karasuno haven't pulled that this tournament yet, have they? She couldn't remember, she saw Noya practice it a lot by now.

Asahi spiked the ball over the net, using the opportunity of Seijoh's shock and his power to spike it on their court.

They'd gotten the first point.