12 - A Mad Dash For Victory

CHAPTER TWELVE

CHAPTER TWELVE

      All the first year classes were assembled at the starting line at the stadium gate. Everyone buzzed with anticipation as the three lights at the top of the door lit up.

      The first light turned off.

      'I can do this!' Megumi murmured silent words of encouragement to herself. 'I know exactly what to do. I can do this!'

      The second light turned off.

      Next to Megumi, Natsume was stretching his arms, ready to get into his running position.

      The third light turned off.

      With a resounding yell, Midnight yelled, "START!"

      Every single student ran towards the gate, ready to pass through it and move beyond. But with too many people rushing through, a crowd started to form and all the students were struggling to move out of the hallway beyond the gate. It was almost like the media fiasco a few weeks ago, only this was much worse. In the chaos, Megumi ended up being jostled and pushed away from Natsume.

      And as much as she would have liked to stay with her cousin during this race, it was a fight she had to win on her own.

      Out of nowhere, the temperature suddenly dropped. A freezing gust of wind blew past the feet of students, freezing them all in place as Todoroki dashed past, leaving them behind and taking the first place for himself (for now).

      But something as simple as ice couldn't stop someone with a fire based quirk. With ease, Megumi summoned her white flames through her feet and easily pulled herself out of the ground. She started running ahead, realising some others in her class had also managed to free themselves, among them Yaoyorozu, Aoyama and Bakugo.

      Megumi summoned her flames through her feet once more, using them to give herself a speed boost, essentially rushing further than those who had escaped the ice. Behind her, she could hear Bakugo's angry screams about her and Todoroki, but she chose to ignore those. The only thing on her mind was catching up with Todoroki and passing him to win the race.