Getaway-15

The sun has just gone down. You decided that since they weren't checking the room you were in, that you might as well stay in it. Clementine had to huddle up next to you to keep you warm.

Clem: Why wouldn't they check in here?

You: They're morons.

Clem: I gathered that, but you would think that they would check.

She lets go of you and walks over to the door. She presses her ear up against it to listen.

You: It's so cold.

Clem: I know.

You: We need to find me a new shirt and jacket.

Clem: We have extra in the car.

You: The car has already been looted.

Clem: How do you know?

You: We're in Anarchy. They've already taken everything.

Clem: How are we going to get out of here then?

You: By stealing back.

Clem: If that's what it takes... Are you ready?

You: Is it clear?

Clem: From what I can hear.

You: Alright then.

You get up and walk over.

Clem: We can't get spotted. We don't want that wound opening back up, and if we do we won't be able to stop at this house we need to go to.

You: Let's do it. They might have stopped looking.

She opens the door. You ready your pistol and move in behind her, slowly. It's dark, and you can't see much.

Clem: It's clear down here.

You follow her to the stairs. You look up at the door at the top of them. You can see a light through the cracks.

Clem: You think someone is here?

You: Probably. Let me go first.

Clem: No, you're injured.

You: So?

Clem: I'll be fine.

You sigh.

You: I'll be right behind you.

She nods and starts up the stairs. You follow her, staying a step behind her all the way up. She reaches the top and slowly opens the door with her pistol ready to fire. You're just waiting for someone to yell or tackle her, but it doesn't happen.

Clem: Come on.

She moves in. You hurry up the steps behind her and shut the door quietly. There's a few candles inside, but you can't hear anyone. It looks like they've turned whatever this used to be into a house.

You follow Clementine, carefully placing each of your steps to keep noise to a minimum. There's no one inside. Not a single living soul other than you two.

Unknown Man: What are you doing in my house?

So much for that. You turn around and point your gun at the man behind you. He pulls his up just as fast.

Unknown Man: I wouldn't try it.

You: Where the hell did you come from?

Unknown Man: I was waiting for you downstairs in the dark. You walked right passed me.