viii

8

E P I S K E Y

( eh - PIS - key )

" to heal "

_______________

HARRY WASN'T QUITE sure where his feet were taking him, but he was determined to leave the Gryffindor Common Room after his argument with Hermione and Ron.

Harry shuffled around the barrels covering the entrance to the Hufflepuff Common Room. The newest portrait smiled widely at Harry, welcoming him like an old friend.

"Hi, Harry," the portrait sang, "what're you doing down here?"

"Oh, er, not too sure," Harry stumbled, "I had an argument with Hermione and Ron."

The portrait looked at him sympathetically and offered a consoling nod before disappearing without another word. Harry stared in disbelief at the now empty painting.

Lyra clutched a familiar greying book in her hands, tracing the faded letters on the cover. She did this each night, but never had the courage to open the yellowing pages.

Her body hummed with tingling magic, dancing through her veins. Her room smelt of dark magic; only she could tell. The small beige painting that hung above her door called her name.

"It's midnight," Lyra laughed, "Why are you up here, Ced?"

Cedric Diggory, the new guard of the Hufflepuff basement, smiled down at her lovingly. "Harry's at the door, I think he needs a friend."

She nodded and stumbled from the comfort of her bed, wrestling with her jumper as she padded down the stairs with bleary eyes. Lyra let Harry in silently, leading him to the large settee that faced the now lit fire.

"What's happened?" She asked softly, leaning back on the yellow sofa.

"Hermione and Ron made a really good point," Harry sighed, rubbing his eyes, "We need a real DADA teacher; someone who will teach us the practical stuff."

Lyra nodded, hiding her hands in Cedric old quidditch jumper. She watched him, waiting for Harry to finish. Lyra blinked repeatedly, trying to rid her eyes of the blurred haze.

"And I was thinking, well they suggested, I should teach us." Lyra smiled at his words, nodding eagerly, "But I can't do it alone."

Lyra looked at him wide-eyed, her subdued blue eyes shone brightly with wonder. A shocked gasp escaped her puffed lips, slightly chapped from kisses Draco had stolen earlier that day.

"But, I, what-what about Hermione?" Lyra stuttered, rubbing her eyes as though she was dreaming.

Harry grinned, wrapping an arm around her shoulders, "Hermione's smart, really smart," he began, "but you're in the Order, Lyra. You're better than all of us."

"Thank you." She whispered, looking down at his scarring hand, it looked just like hers. She curled into his side, despite the awkward air which soon left.

A few early rising Hufflepuffs found the two asleep across form a sputtering fire that morning. Nobody bothered to wake them after a stern word from Cedric, Lyra's smile was enough to convince them.