Chapter 21

Chapter 21
Sakura Eliana Vasquez

Fifteen years ago, I was a kid full of hope. Nakatira lang kami ni Mom sa isang maliit na condo unit pero sapat na iyon sakin.

"Mom? Will you come home early today?" I asked enthusiastically.

She ignored my question and continued talking someone on the phone.

"Talaga? Alam mo na kung nasaan siya ngayon? Sige.. papunta nako. Thanks, Gie." she was about to leave but I held the hem of her dress to stop her.

"What is it Colder! I'm in a hurry!" I quiver in fear because she raised her voice on me.

Mom is mad at me again. Tears trickled down on my faced.

I sobbed. "M-Mom, it's my birthday." At last I said it.

She looked stunned. Lumuhod siya sa harapan ko at pinunasan ang mga luha ko gamit ang mga kamay niya.

"Hush now. I-I'm sorry, okay? I was just really stressed at work...in everything. I forgot that it's your birthday today, but son, I promise babawi si Mommy. Okay? I'll come home early and I'll bring a present for you. Be a good boy." she kissed my forehead and stood up to leave.

I waved goodbye with hope and happiness in my heart. Mom has a present for me later! I'm so excited!

I waited and waited for Mom but still she's not yet home. It's already dark. I need to turn on the lights.

I stood on the chair to reach the switch and successfully I turned it on.

While I was pushing the chair back to our small dining table, my stomach grumbled.

I'm hungry.

Binuksan ko ang refrigerator at nakita ko ang mga delata at cup noodles na naroon. I grabbed one cup.

"This will be my dinner again.." I murmured.

Nasa counter ang thermos kaya kinailangan ko na namang gumamit ng upuan na tutuntungan.

Mabigat ang thermos kay nahirapan ako buhatin iyon. I put it on the floor together with the cup noodles.

Unluckily while I was pouring the hot water on the cup, the thermos slipped on my small hands causing it to spill on my pants.

I screamed in pain. It was so hot. I can feel my skin the painful burning  sensation on my skin.

"Mom, where are you? I need you right now. It's so yayay." I said between my cries.

I forced myself to stood up and change my pants even my legs are aching because of the burn.

After that I ate the half cooked noodles just to ease my hunger.

"Happy Birthday Colder!" bati ko sa sarili habang umiiyak at pinipilit na lunukin ang noodles na kinakain.

Morning came. Mommy's voice awakened me. I immediately got up from my bed to see her.

"My goodness! What happened here!" she exclaimed.