12. Hooligan - William Byron

I woke up to the sound of my dad knocking on my door. "Brooklyn, time to get up!". "Yeah, give me ten minutes!" I semi-yelled back as I rolled over and pulled my blanket over my head. I shut my eyes and before I knew it he was beating on my door again. "Brooklyn, come on we have to leave in a half hour!" He knocked again. I got up and swung the door open. "Okay, you win. I'm up!" I threw my hands in the air and turned around to go to the bathroom. "Well if you didn't stay out half the night after I told you to be home by ten, you wouldn't have this problem." He said as he walked away. "Yeah, whatever Dad." I slammed my bathroom door and looked at my phone. 8:00 AM. What the actual fuck. I went to my closet, pulling out a pair of black skinny jeans, my favorite Fever333 t-Shirt, and my black Metal Mulisha hoodie. I went to the bathroom got dressed and put on my Converse. I grabbed my phone and my skateboard and walked downstairs. I stuck my headphones in my ears and watched my dad's lips move, not being able to hear a word he said. Welcome to the life of the eldest daughter of NASCAR crew chief Chad Knaus. I sat in silence, listening to music the entire drive to Hendrick Motorsports. I got out of the car and grabbed my board. "Brooklyn, leave it in the car, you won't need it here." I rolled my eyes and went in with it. "It's no wonder your mother gave me custody," I said nothing. Fuck her, and fuck him too. It's me against the world. I sat my board down and hopped on it, rolling down the long hallway. I had no clue where I was going, didn't care. I knew I was pissing off my dad, and that's all I needed. Or so I thought. Someone turned the corner and I rolled directly into them, falling off my board. This guy was staring at me. I grabbed my board and held it up. "My bad." That was all I said. Dad caught up to me, well us. "Alex, I am sorry, my daughter is a Hooligan." He glared at me and stuck his hand out. "I'll take the skateboard." I stepped back looking at him, with a laugh. "The hell you will. You didn't pay for it, you can't ride it, you don't need it." I said, not changing my stance. "I can see why she has a black eye." I looked at this Alex kid. "You know nothing about me." I shot back. "So fuck off." Chad looked at me. "Come on I need to get to the shop. Do us all a favor and stay off that damn board before you hurt someone. There is no place here for a skateboard." He shot me a glare and started to walk away. "Yeah, well do me a favor and stop pretending to be a father," I said coldly. He didn't bother to turn around, he just kept walking. I looked at Alex and turned around walking back the way I came. I don't know my around this place, but there had to be something I could do.

I managed to find a door with my dad's name on it. I walked in and looked around. Couch, desk, tons of boxes everywhere. I looked down into a few of them, car parts. Shocking. I put my board on the floor and stood on it checking my phone. Nothing new in the world, oh wait, I'm up before anyone I have ever known. I rolled my eyes again and stuck my phone in my back pocket. I did a quick Ollie, then a kickflip. I continued to do a ton of different tricks until someone opened the door. I looked up to see some blonde-headed kid. "Are you Brooklyn?" I didn't answer. I just looked at him, blankly. "I'll just assume you are then, your dad wants you in the garage.". "You mean Chad? Because I don't have a dad," I said and did another kickflip turning my attention back to my board. "Yeah, Chad." He said walking out. I followed him still on my board. I rode into the elevator, and out down the hall to the garage. "Get OFF that damn skateboard." Was the first thing I heard. "Get OFF my damn back." I shot back. He looked at me. "Look, Brooklyn, I get it, okay, you hate me. But have a little bit of respect for someone else's property. This building belongs to Mr.Hendrick and skateboards don't belong." I picked up my board. "Are you happy now?" I asked, my voice laced with hate. He turned to all the people in the room, there was the kid named Alex, and the blond that came upstairs. "I know this will be a great year for all of the Hendrick teams. We leave today for speed weeks, and the Daytona 500 is next Sunday. We have a lot of work ahead of us, and also a new set of hands to help out." He turned to me and smiled. "This is my oldest daughter, Brooklyn, she will be there when you need a helping hand." I cut him off. "Hold it. Pump your breaks, I'm not here to help anyone. I don't even want to be here in the first place." He looked at me. "Brooklyn, I know this is all new to you, but this is your life now. You're no longer with your mother, you need to get used to this." I laughed, I need to get used to this? I didn't show any emotion. I turned to the guys staring at us. "I am not here to help any of you. The only reason I am here is that my mom gave custody of me Chad. So I was forced to come here." I turned around and stormed out of the garage, straight out to the parking lot.