20. Austin - Alex Bowman

Austin was behind the counter, taking orders and handing out coffee. A smile on her face, she enjoyed her job. "Almost closing time." She looked up at Carrie, smiling. "Got any plans for tonight?" Carrie smiled stacking new cups behind the counter. "Nothing special, you?". "Nah, not really." Austin's smile faded away as she glanced at her feet. "I've got some studying to do tonight, anyway." Carrie gave her a small smile. "You still love him, don't you?" Austin nodded her head and looked up. "It's been three years, he's probably married by now." She replied. "I just need to get him out of my head." She turned to go wipe down some tables and sweep the floors. Alex Bowman, it had been three years since the break up. She moved back home to Chicago, found an apartment, got a job, enrolled in college, she had her life together, except one thing, she just couldn't seem to get over him. She found herself following along with his carrier, watching all the races, and cheering him on. She still loved him, and she often wondered if he ever thought about her.

She walked into her apartment and tossed her purse on the table, sitting down and taking off her shoes. She got out her phone and went to Instagram. She scrolled through for a bit and then decided to see what he had been up to, she came across a newer account. Alex Bowman Racing.

He had started his own racing company

He had started his own racing company. A smile came across her face, she was so proud of him. He was very passionate about a few things in life. Racing, cars and her. They had spent four years together, she traveled with him. She decided she would call him, maybe see what he was up to, it was the off season, after all. She pulled up her contacts list and hit his name. Three rings later and she heard his sweet voice on the answering machine.

[If your callin' 'bout the car I sold it, if this is Tuesday night, I'm bowlin', if you've got somethin' to sell, your waistin' your time, I'm not buying, if it's anybody else wait for the tone, you know what to do, and P.S, if this is Austin, I still love you.]

She panicked and hung up the phone. He still loved her. She shook her head in disbelief and stood from the couch, headed for the kitchen and made herself a sandwich, she grabbed her laptop and started on her studies, or at least made an attempt at it, truth was he was all she could think about.

She rolled over shutting off her alarm. She got up and got her work clothes together, heading into the bathroom. She showered and got dressed for work. She went in and saw Cassie, "Good morning." She smiled and walked behind the counter. "Good Morning." Cassie half smiled and finished the coffee she was working on. "Friday morning. Are you excited for the weekend?" Austin questioned as she took the hot pan of cookies out of the oven. Cassie sighed and leaned against the counter. "Not really, we still haven't figured out what we are doing for Thanksgiving, My mom wants us to come to her house. Dave's mom wants us at her house. Neither of them will change the time of their dinner. What about you? What are you doing for Thanksgiving?". "Probably the same thing I do every year. Curl up on the couch with a T.V dinner and a Criminal Minds marathon." Austin laughed a bit looking up to Cassie. "Why don't you have both your mom's come to your house? You're an amazing cook." "You might be onto something." Cassie smiled, but I only agree to it if you agree to call Alex, right now." She smirked and eyed Austin. "I'll call him after we close, it's time to open the doors." She mentally thanked her guardian angel as she unlocked the front doors. Before she knew it, it was closing time. Cassie had already locked the doors and was wiping down the tables when Austin walked up collecting the trash bags from the cans. "I didn't forget. Call him." Cassie said smiling. Austin rolled her eyes and took out her phone. She had put it on speaker, so Cassie could hear. Three rings and the answering machine.

[If it's Friday night I'm at the ball game, and first thing Saturday, if it don't rain, I'm headed out to the lake and I'll be gone, all weekend long, but I'll call you back when I get home on Sunday afternoon, and P.S. if this is Austin, I still love you.]

She quickly left her number and hung up the phone. She stuck her phone in her pocket and looked at Cassie. "There you go, I called him." Cassie was smiling from ear to ear. "I'll talk to my mom tonight. Scouts honor." Austin smiled and continued her task. She went home and studied for awhile before heading to bed. Saturday seemed to be never ending. Sunday she woke up feeling happy, genuinely happy. She got up and made a pot of coffee. She flipped the TV on and flipped through the channels, nothing. She shut the TV off and turned on her radio, connecting her phone and turning on her favorite play list, she danced around cleaning and wiping down various things until her stomach growled. She looked at the clock. 1:20PM. She went into the kitchen making her a quick bit to eat. She grabbed her phone and turned off the radio, sitting on the couch she scrolled through Twitter, and Instagram. She grabbed a book from the book shelf and sat back down, starting to read. Before she knew it, her phone was ringing. It was Alex. She watched it ring for a moment and then answered.

[If your callin' bout my heart it's still yours, I should have listened to it a little more, then it wouldn't have taken me so long, to know where I belong, and by the way, boy, this is not machine your talkin' to, can't you tell, this is Austin and I still love you.]

"Would you like to come home?" He asked. "I'll send you a plane ticket and you can leave in the morning. Everything you left, is still here and I don't know if I can make it through another Thanksgiving without the only woman I have ever been thankful for." He stopped talking when she cut him off. "Alex, I want nothing more, then to be back in North Carolina, where I belong." They continued to talk, for hours. Little did she know, tomorrow he had much bigger plans for them, he just had one question to ask her.